HOK Clear?

A

amelia clark

I read the post on Toughest clear coat. which HOK is the best one to use on batting helmets? I really don't think "toughest" is going to matter too much. I have dealt with these helmets. Had one guy to say his is painted with automotive paint, " will last a life time!" NOT!! The helmet was scratched and CRACKED! The paint job on any of these is only as good as the helmet and most are made out of soft plastic. Nothing is going to protect that from concrete!

A

Anthony

Amelia,
I happen to paint batting helmets all the time. The only paints APPROVED by Schutt and other helmet manufacturers are Waterbased Paints (ie Createx, Badger, Aqua Flo, etc). The automotive paints are too aggressive for the type of plastic used.
As for clearing, I just use a Walmart house brand, .99¢ a can. It works like a champ. I had to redo a helmet that was already cleared. I used a red Scotchbrite pad to see if I could scuff it off. Well, it didn't work. I had to use mineral spirits to wipe off the mistake. It was either that or just scuff it and use my opaque white and go over it the best I could to cover it up.

Good luck,
Anthony

EDIT:You can't link to personal website's since this is part of Scott's buisness site.

flamethrower

Anthony,
You need to take your site link off the post. Read the rules, No linking to websites that conflict with Attitude Custom Painting. Please edit your post.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

FT

A

Anthony

Sorry Gang,
Didn't mean to break the rules. I'm new here. I removed my link from my personal info.

Anthony

flamethrower

No Problem. Thanks for editing. Tons of info available from this site. It was an immense help when I first started painting. I think you'll like the guys and gals on here. Enjoy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

FT

T

TAZ

Thanks Anthony!!!!
We all appreciate your participation, input and responses!!!
Enjoy the Flames Board!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

R

robert.tallon

I not only happen to paint a tremendous number of batting helmets, cycle helmets, etc. I also coach High School Baseball and fast pitch softball.
We do the painting for all the teams in this area. Pop. 500,000.
We use dupont automotive paint, including their plastic prep for adhesion, and clears. Never had one complaint or one problem about it being to aggressive.
The national association of High School Athletics has no problem with it either. Automotive clear is by far the best protection for painted helmets. Just remember it only protects the paint and has nothing to do with the ability of the helmet to do it's job. That's why each helmet must have a stamp of approval on it prior to competive use.
Just thought I'd throw my two cents worth for another view point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/luck.gif