Hmmm looks like we will be going to water soon.

T

tiller2nv

Just got back from PPG school. We talked a lot about the new PPG water base line. Your PPG jobber doesnt have it just yet but I was told its just a matter of time! This stuff is awesome! We shot a bunch of it, it laid really flat and looked better then DBC or DBU! Everone in the class was shocked! After only two minutes clear was sprayed. Looks like great stuff!

T

TAZ

Probably sometime in the future...bet it's not for a while though. They'll probably use it in CA first. Who knows.

Another paint system to learn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bounce.gif

Isn't PPG coming out with their own candy line? Anything mentioned in class on this?

T

tiller2nv

Nothing about Kandy in the class. I also took a Craig Fraser airbrush class Saturday and he said PPG was coming out with a Custom paint line but didnt seem to happy that they were'nt coming out with striping paint with it. The nice part about the water line is there is no top coat time line. You can leave it for a month and still top coat it!

LudicrousSpeed

I thought there was a ppg water based line already?

Back in the early 90's, my dad hit a deer with my mom's 89 caddy. They refinished the hood with water based paint.

Al I remember was that it looked like crap a few months later, chipped really easily and died out in a few years........

rex

When PPG comes out with the new version of custom stuff HOK will probably still be way cheaper and user friendly,HOK is basically cheaper now compared to PPG and the other's normal line.We have the waterborne on the mixers now at PPG school but we won't see it for a while like Scott said,Cali is the testing ground for anything F'd up(which I don't really consider this scenario) but it takes quite a while to trickle down through the first few Commie states.I remember quite a few Cali people in other forums refering to the state as the "Republic of California',and history proves it so.I for one would never live there with the Fienstien regime still in office or ever go back to the state of NY after those idiots put Clinton's wife in office-WTF are these media brainwashed drones thinking?Actually,I think I can do a Jim Baker scam and not only make serious money but not pay taxes too,anyone want to join the Churck of Rex?For the measly price of $100 I can forgive you of your blasphemous sins of drinking,swearing and chasing women-I'll tell you any other lie you'd believe too for another $50 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflmao.gifOk,the rambling is over again....

A

alienboy

I'm lost.....are we talking about paint?

j/k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/think.gif

O

outlaw17

This place neeeds a "Rex's ramble's" section , they rock ! Keep rambling Rex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Austin

Envirobase. I met a guy whose shop was using it, but switched to autocolor (bought by PPG) because color match was very poor with the envirobase. Global color match sucked when we first switched to it 7 years ago too. They will get better.
I sprayed envirobase as well, neat stuff. Did you use the hand held drier? We still used a Global clear over it. Definitely cool stuff. NO overspray at all. tack cloth stays clean. Just a matter of time...... Then again you can still get lacs.
Austin

flamethrower

What the F is going on??? Water based paint?! If something ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT! With all the new and fun things to do with the urethanes, why do these idiots insist on screwing things up? You notice that the Bible thumpin' prudes still haven't put a stop to the @#!% school buses pumpin' their black soot into the eco-system. But they want to mess with something that has little or no long term effect on the environment . Dam left coasters. Wait a minute, I'm a left coaster... Don't worry guys, I wont use any of their enviro-friendly indoor latex... Ramble, ramble... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yikes02.gif

T

tiller2nv

[ QUOTE ]
What the F is going on??? Water based paint?! If something ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT! With all the new and fun things to do with the urethanes, why do these idiots insist on screwing things up? You notice that the Bible thumpin' prudes still haven't put a stop to the @#!% school buses pumpin' their black soot into the eco-system. But they want to mess with something that has little or no long term effect on the environment . Dam left coasters. Wait a minute, I'm a left coaster... Don't worry guys, I wont use any of their enviro-friendly indoor latex... Ramble, ramble... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yikes02.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, yeah thats what I though untill I saw it used. Its laid down REAL flat and when the clear was laid down there was no peel! It was funny cause the class wasnt about the new line. The instructor didnt even want to talk about it because the jobber couldnt even get get it yet. But everyone in the class wanted to try it, so he gave in and let us try it. My first thought was doing a big flame job on a car/truck. The days of the 24hour clear window would be over! Now to me that is BIG! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif

rex

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflmao.gif I think the new forum needs to read Rex&Flamethrower's Ramblings (my name comes first since I have more posts-ha ha).I agree with the waterbased change being crap but of course we all knew something new was coming,it's been over 20 years for a major paint improvement and the tree huggers and animal right's freaks(whick brings up another ramble for future ranting) have been going strong the whole time.Let's not forget the EPA's infinite wisdom on the topic too.Don't piss one of those EPA boys too,it's amazing what the fine for a rag blown off the bench within 20' of a dirty rag can costs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yikes02.gif They can throw 4 and 5 digit fines on you fast for the most ignorant crap.

A

alienboy

Just to be the devils advocate I am looking foward to the water based paint. I hope it comes real soon. I'm guessing that if a stupid (unnamed) democrat gets in the white house it will happen real soon.
There you go guys, that ought to piss some people off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekout.gif

rex

Well,it is better than being pissed on,unless of course you're into that sort of stuff.As a side note-if you are into it send me pics,I can make some side money between my demented friends and the net /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif

A

alienboy

I had to read that twice to get it......still laughin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/think.gif

rex

Oh,I forgot to tell you your signature line is great.I'm looking at it from the sick side of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

Bornhard

Re: Hmmm looks like we will be going to water soon

wheeeeeeeeeeeeew...all this over waterbased paints taking over.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek_yello.gif

rex

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gifYou never know where these threads end up,eh?

Ultra Al

It figures, just when I finally broke down and sprung for a Survive Air fresh air supplyer to save my kidneys and liver for.....other things... Hey dont that water paint need to be heat cured??

rex

All the ones I've heard about do.Being in the Big state it's hard to say,you're not in the Republic of Cali but you guys get some weird stuff too at times (but I love your gun laws-it's amazing what armed citizens do for the crime rate).From what I gather the heated booths don't get it,you actually need IR or a handheld dryer to dry it out.Figures,more money eh?I think the hobby days will be gone in about 10 years for the states with lax regulations.Nothing like Big Brother telling us what's good and what's not one more time.No,kiss my butt,I'm not going off on a rant this time(haha,we'll save this for another time).