Help With Overlapping flame painting!

RemnantRider

Hey guys can anyone help me with a overlapping flame job? I am attempting to duplicate a flame layout i like and when finelining the outline the tape i overlap it either over or under the flame to each side but i see if i try to paint it this way the base is going to show as unpainted under them at the curves in mention and also there will be a gap of base in between . my thoughts were to overlap the fineline in the layout then i whould need to cut it were it overlaps to expose the body of flames som it will all be shot then after it stes up (Cures)the detail of the over and under overlap will be defined by the outline i am planning on using that is all i can figure out HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yourock::yourock::yourock:Thanks

airartist

If the overlapping flames are the same color, then you don't tape over the flames you just add drop shadows when you are done with the color and that seperates the flames and adds great depth. If you are doing different colors, then you want to do them in multiple layers. It will still require a lot of planning, but thinking ahead will help you eliminate some of your concerns.

RemnantRider

First of all thanks for the reply yes that was also all i could figure out there is a blue outline so instead of taping off the flames individually i whould need to leave the under or overlapping section open the define that flame with the blue outline when painted yes it is all the same flame color so i think we can attempt it ?only I stink at outlines ! so i will need to fineline it on each side so i dont go out of line hey i might even send it to you to do it right he he he hha ha ha ha thanks Air artist!

flamepain

if it helps.what i do is tape out my flames ignoring the overlap.when i'm done i stand back and look at what i've got(eyes half closed)and decide what goes over or under.i never go over or under twice in the same flame it's always over under over under and so on.like weaving.just take a razor blade and remove all of the crosovers.base it and tape for shading.good luck.cyas

airartist

you have the right idea with the blue outline. i have painted many bikes and have over 22 years airbrushing experience, but one thing I have not trusted myself to do is freehand pinstriping flames. I have seen too many good flames ruined by bad pinstriping. It takes 10 times longer, but well worth the time to tape out your pinstripe and airbrush or spray in the color. you will achieve a very nice flat stripe and very sharp perfect points. It looks great. Pinstriping is an art in of itself. Don't ruin your hard work for flame layout and design with bad striping. Oh yea, you might want to shoot a couple of coats of clear over your flames then sand down the paint edge before striping it so the edge doesn't show under your stripe.

hoss

ya gotta start somewhere. just practice a lot first. sometimes it's real hard to stripe it when it matters.

artworkbysteve

Here what you need to think about it is really simple when laying flames out cut all intersections where they meet so you can determine later which goes over later with either pinstriping or back taping and shading in more darker colors to help the desired effect as far as striping and layout I dont use the blue 3m tape (because it is a memory tape it always wants to come back to original form after pulling in curves and the other reason is it has a high film thickness and when you paint the material will always dry to the top of the edge to the tape thus having a larger film thickness when done the trick to doing cleaner lines is use 3/32 green fine(3M) line NOT crape tape ,but plastic your edge will be lower and cleaner this will help bleed thru problems also ..because it is 3/32 it will bend easyer then 1/8 ...........steve