Help with hood

drexotic

Hi guys (and gals) !
I've been lurking here for a while and I appreciate the knowledge and experience that you all give so selflessly! I know I will benefit greatly from my time spent here.

I have an old Jeep that has had some custom work. A PO swapped the front clip of a Willys truck or Wagon and modified the hood to a cowl induction (look).

My problem / question is that there is up to 1/4 inch of bondo on the cowl and now it has been damaged and the bondo is cracked and has come off in a couple of spots. I can bondo it back but I'd love to hear what you think some options would be and how difficult they would be. I have never done any sheet metal work (other than a bit of hammering and straightening)

Thanks, Jeff

908633916_d633539d66.jpg

908479040_1a1295d501.jpg

Looks like I don't have the hang of the inserting pic's . . . . I'll work on that.

Last edited:

flamepain

sweet jeep.i just baught and am restoring a 46 cj2a. add on hood cowls are always a problem.if it is steel you will probably find that when they installed it they only spot welded it on.it should be solid welded.if your not a top grade welder take it to a pro and get it done.bad things can happen with warpage if your not carful .when you start filling it make sure to use short strand fibre glass filler and just use bondo to finish (way stronger that way).an insulated under hood blanket may help.all surfaces must be clean and well keyed in for best results.if you dont want to get in that deep and the bondo has only a few small cracks just gouge them out with a grinder refill them and repaint however that may be a gamble.good luck.cyas

drexotic

I think It would take God to resurrect this thread from the dead!

Strangely enough, however I still have not redone the hood . . .
Any suggestions?