Help with a plastic bumper

vwmann

I bought a brand new bumper from GM for my GMC Jimmy. It is an "Envoy" edition so it has a recessed chrome strip that goes on each corner. I don't want to put any chrome on it so now I have a bevel that needs to be filled. It’s about 1/8 inch deep, half inch wide and wraps around each corner of the bumper so it’s about a foot long. What would be the best way to fill it in?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
They make a special filler for ABS or plastic bumpers. Not for sure what part number it is (check with your local jobber).
Then I would just use bondo on top of that to finish it off.

cozee

SEM, Norton, 3M, and others have 2 part repair systems with which you can fill the groove with. Use a polyester filler and primer. Double check the paint you are going to use for it's use over plastic parts as a flex additive may be necessary.

vwmann

I'm going with the 3M two part system. I have a buddy of mine doing the painting. He has the booth, safety systems and the skill. Thanks for the help guys!

SiccRegal

I've used 2 part marine expoxy. Always worked good for me. Let it sit overnight come back the next day, grind down and give it a little half time or icing should be fine to level it out.

LudicrousSpeed

Yep. painting the chrome strip would probably look better and not take as much time.

Except that I am betting you are going to have to buy the strip??

Charlott

SEM, Norton, 3M, and others have 2 part repair systems with which you can fill the groove with here. Use a polyester filler and primer. Double check the paint you are going to use for it's use over plastic more parts as a flex additive may be necessary.​

Last edited: