Glass bags

Harley Cruiser

Hey all been working on a set of custom Glass bags and need some advice. After I removed the plug and cut the doors, the lids warped a little, and need to give them another coat of glass.
Does anyone know how the new coat will affect the old glass. Will it stretch or shrink. If it shrinks then I will put it on the outside to flatten the doors.
Here is a photo, still need to be painted and I am working on the hinges for the doors now.
Thanks Steve

Attachments

• bags 100k.jpg
    bags 100k.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 80

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Hello Harley, well I guess it's better late than never. The reason you got some warping happening is that you probably took the bags out of the mold a little early. Fiberglass will shrink on a freshly laid up part. up to 5% for about 6 weeks. You no doubt used a poly ester resin so putting on another coat of the same won't do anything for you in straightening up the part. Since you cut out the lids,you could make a new set from your original plug. This time use a vinyl ester resin,which is much less prone the shrinkage,and leave the component on the plug for 10 days. Sorry for the delay in getting to you,just saw your post. But maybe this will help you the next time.