Ghost Flames

F

Flyer

I have to start by saying that this page and the "How-To" has been the single greatest resource I have been able to find on painting. THANKS!!!!

I have painted the tanks and fenders on my 97 FXSTC a fairly dark purple (Dupont Chroma Colors). For the flames, I chose a pearl that is silver in one light, then nothing from another perspective. As instructed in the "How-To" section I sprayed two coats. (I double checked with the paint store on this one since you are using a different kind of paint, they agreed) And now I have silver flames. They don't change color or disappear. I haven't put the clear on yet, but I wondering, would the clear have anything to do with it?

T

TAZ

Glad to hear you like the How-To!

There's a couple of things that I can think that you have done is to apply the paint to heavy, meaning that you sprayed two normal coats.
It is very easy to spray the pearl to heavy, thus taking away the ghost effect.
Spraying a silver (especially if it really a metallic) over a purple would hardly give you a "ghost effect" or unless you really put it on very lightly.

To achieve ghost flames over purple, a better choice might have been either a blue pearl or a violet pearl.

Are you sure the paint store did not give you a "metallic" instead of a pearl. I really don't know of a pearl that looks like a metallic. The closest would be white pearl, but even this has a white reflection over it.
Possibly, if you can give me the toner code of the pearl (metallic) they gave you, I can double check it for you. We use PPG Global, but I can ask the paint rep for you.
Let me know,
Scott