General flames question???

T

tcmustang

I only paint cars, and have done several ghost flame jobs that turned out pretty well. But...how are the flames done that have a pin stripe around the edge and the flames are either solid or fade from one color to aanother. The pin stripe is the only part I am not sure about. Is it brushed on by a steady hand, or what? Thanks

hoss

You'll need to buy a pin stripping brush. I think they are made of camel hair. The hair is long and very soft. On the Custom Flame Painting section there are some questions like yours check out the answers. I think the first one starts on pg. 4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

A

alienboy

buy you a pinstriper sword and practice practice practice!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/luck.gif

Bornhard

Oooooh hmmmmm...maybe rex or scott will give you a keyword to search for this topic. It's somewhere here on the Flame Board.

There is actually a few ways to get an outline around your flames or graphics. One way is to use tape (which you need the post or artical on how to do that...too lengthly to type). Another way is to use a Mack, or Excaliber sword striping brush and some One Shot, House Of Kolor and any other type of STRIPING paint out there. There are many post in here on this topic and hours of reading.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/luck.gif

LudicrousSpeed

Well, I can type out the way to mask it.

Basically, you mask like usual, but spray the color you want the pinstripe to be first. Then lay a strip of fineline down just inside the tape of the outside of your flames. Follow it exactly, or the pinstripe will be wavy and inconsistent widths. Now spray the color of your flames. Remove ALL the tape and clear as you normally would. This leaves a nice clean edge all the way around.

As far as fading from one color to the next, the way I do it it by spraying the lightest color first. Then I start on the opposite end of where I want the fade to start and paint towards the edge of the fade. I usually mark the area I want to fade with a piece of tape. I have two pieces of it, where I want to start fading and where I want it to stop. I just try to "fan" the gun at the first piece and let it dust to the last. I go progressively further each time till I get the look I am after.

Bornhard

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bigokay.gif

A

alienboy

The dancing fruit is giving me nightmares man......MAKE IT STOP, MAKE THE BANANAS STOP!!!

A

alienboy

Why do the mock me. Little dancing fruit teasing me. Just like that stripper at the club. How was I to know it would all get out of hand?? Just remember guys, when they say "do you mind if I we try something kinky?" and they bring in a slinky, three hamsters, and a paper clip say no. Damn you little dancing fruit!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smack01.gif

rex

Oh man,paperclips are taboo,I can't have anything to do with this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yikes02.gif Rubber bands and baby ViseGrips(not the ones with the wirecutter) are ok though.....

Bornhard

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon_wave222.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon_wave222.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon_wave222.gif <<<<make them STOP! make them STOP! make them STOP!

rex

You guys kill me,thank God for laughter and sick minds.I feel normal now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

A

alienboy

Everyone does such a great job helping others out. I know alot of us get stressed out over painting and its nice every now and then to get a good laugh. I just hope I don't offend anyone. If I do.....well, I guess they just need more stress in their life to see the sick humor in mine.