fresh gas tanks

C

calif phil

I was wondering what people are doing to the inside of raw steel harley tanks before painting. I have sealed them with Kreem in the past but was wondering if it is still the best way to go.

T

txturbo

I use POR-15 in silver.Kreem use to be the stuff to use but POR-15 is way better.

F

Flyer

is the POR-15 as big a pain in the a$$ as Kreem? I mean, the multi-step process when done correctly takes an entire day of baby-sitting.

T

txturbo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flyer:
is the POR-15 as big a pain in the a$$ as Kreem? I mean, the multi-step process when done correctly takes an entire day of baby-sitting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
On a new tank it isn't bad.Just put something in it to etch the metal, then clean with a waterbased degreaser,let dry,pour in POR-15, let it drain and dry. If its a used rusty tank its more work.But once its done, its done for good and it leaves a nice ceramic metallic silver coating inside.

B

big stinkie

The guy that does the fabricating at the MC shop says that the only problem with a coating on the inside of a tank arises when/if you decide to stretch it or alter it in some way that requires welding. I guess the coating makes it hard or impossible to make a decent weld. If you don't plan on welding the tank...disregard this message.

Your mileage may vary.

B

Big Chicken

I have had aftermarket tanks sealed at a radiator repair business. I personally recomend letting a professional take care of the messier stuff. Good custom paint is tricky enough.

T

thumper5864

Remember that coating the inside of a tank is like coating exaust pipes. "ITS ONLY A TEMPORARY SOLUTION"> I have worked on bikes for years. No matter what you do they will still rust or turn blue. This only a fact of life. It will cost a lot of money to begin, tell yourself is it worth it. Remember that gasoline is kind of like laquer thinner. There is not much these two do not remove. One key thing to tank is to replace the petcock filter every year, depending on the rust involved.
bounce.gif