Forgotten Activator

R

Ray Galetti

I have just completed the first four components of my flame job.I am using Dupont Clear Coat.Upon completing my clear coating, I realized that I forgot to add the activator. It seems to be drying just fine. Am I ok here?? Or will I have to clear coat again? If I do have to clear coat, do I need to scuff and then clear? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

ezrider

If you forgot the activator you are in deep trouble. the clear will seem dry but it will only be on the outer surface. it will soften up when you wet it or wash it never mind tring to wax it. sorry to tell you this ,but it looks like you are going to have to strip the paint job and start over again. there is no fix for this.you might try wipping all the clear off with thinner but it usually makes a huge mess.

R

Ray Galetti

EZrider, Thank you for the reply. As it turned out, I did have a couple of good coats of clear beneath the bad stuff. So, I sanded and recleared, everything turned out great. The bike is finished with the acception of the fuel tank. I saved the hardest for last, but learned alot.

Thanks again for your help.