flame over flames

M

motorhead100

I'm doing a paintjob for a friend, and I've done plenty of basic flames, but he wants two sets of flames overlapping. In the past, I've always sanded the basecoat, laid out the flames, shot and then cleared. How do you get around sanding the first flames for the second set and clear? I've been told about adhesion promoter, but I've also heard it doesn't work so hot. Is it something I really don't need to worry about? Will I have a problem if I clear over cured flames without sanding?

T

TAZ

A quick way to achive tow sets of flames is to use "Spray Mask". You spray your basecoat on (even clear the basecoat before you flame it-if you wish), then use spray mask, then cut out your flames and spray them, then recoat with spray mask, then cut out and spray the second coat of flames. Wash the spray mask off, then clear the complete panel.

If you do it by taping up the flames, you usually have a "window" of about 48 hours before you have to sand or use some type of adhesion promoter for the clear to bite into. This should give you plenty of time to do both sets of flames in basecoat.
Hope this helps!
Scott