flame edge questions

skraps528

Hey guys, I've been a lurker to the sight for some time always happy to see all the useful information available on here. My question is I painted flames on a dune buggy and I had a nice size edge after I laid my graphix and I didnt wetsand to knock down the edge I just layed down my clear. Ive been wetsanding for days and lil to no results on getting this edge knocked down. Im wetsanding with 1500. I'm planning to do a final coat of clear so what is the most agressive I can use safely without burning through my clear? this is not my first piece ive flamed, but my biggest so i have never noticed the issue as much until now. What steps do most of you guys do to prevent this. Here is a few pics of the job.

Attachments

• August07 054.jpg
    August07 054.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 125

flamepain

you can dry sand with 1500 on a da.this works for me.how many coats of clear did you put on?.if you are in doubt re clear . it's not worth burning through.you dont have to get all of the edge out in one go.if there is still a little edge on the final clear you can likely wet sand with 2000 - 2500 and polish out the last of it.good luck.cyas

skraps528

Thanks, At first I put on 2 wet coats of clear probably to much I think I should've went with a few lighter coats to prevent some build up on the edges. Then I wetsanded and put two more coats of clear on and I am at the point I am now still left with a little edge.But I will give the 1500 on a DA a try. thanks again

hoss

you could burn through w/ any sand paper. just depends on how much you sand.

when i started out i painted on metal buckets. i figured out how much sanding i could do w/o burning through. how far is good enough.

before i reclear i usually wet sand w/ 800 grit. it knocks it down fast, but i have a squeege in the other hand constantly looking to see where i'm at.

skraps528

Thats what I was gonna try 600 or 800 wet to save some elbow. I will have to try a squegee thats a good idea thanks. Do any of you guys wet sand before you even apply clear? to knock down some edge before hand to save some time in the end? Or is this a bad idea? I have done this before but with test panels and only on certain colors and also depending on what it is im painting.

flamepain

i generaly apply 2-3 coats of clear cut the edge out with 1500 on the da and then throw on another 2-3 coats of clear.any more edge that shows can be sanded out with 2000 and then polished.every one has their own ways of doing it and i'm sure they all work well but this works for me.good luck.cyas