First "Paying" Job

BeoBob

Trying to feel this out...

I have an acquaintance who wants me to paint his saddlebags... 2 bins, 2 lids.

Bags are Harley Police style bags which he bought to replace the OEM bags on his bike. They are currently white and he wants them painted Harley metallic Pewter to match the rest of his bike. There is a color code and variants available. I made him aware of possible paint match issues and he is going to give me a side cover to take to the jobber. Parts are in good to excellent condition, only minor imperfections and no damage repair required. Work consists of sanding the OEM finish, spray sealer, 2-3 coats of base, and 3 coats of clear. Then cut smooth and buff.

Parts are already stripped of all hardware and sitting in his garage. Time is not an issue as he still has the original bags on his bike. I told him it would be 2 months before I could even get to it, then probably a month before I could hand them back. He said that's not a problem.

I went over my notes of previous work, called my jobber, and determined what it's going to take in materials and labor. Let the estimate sit for a couple of weeks and then tweaked it a little. Looking like it's going to be just a bit under $800 all-inclusive for 2 bins and 2 lids.

From the consumer side $800 seems high. But from the business side it seems a little low.

Thoughts????????????????

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

When you say "I went over my notes of previous work,", what do you mean by this?

along with "
Let the estimate sit for a couple of weeks and then tweaked it a little"?

What brand of the base are you purchasing along with the amount and cost of it?

BeoBob

When I painted the 900 I kept rough notes on the amount of time I spent and what I accomplished each day. I used them to refresh my memory on how long it takes to do certain things.

I put together an estimate based on the amount of time it would take to do the job plus cost of materials. Then a couple of weeks later I went over the estimate again and adjust the time.

Base will be Sherwin Williams 7000, 1 pint, $90.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to prep and paint all four pieces within a 1/2 day to 3/4 day tops.
Be sure and mask the inside of both the lids and the lowers.
Plus the cost of the base paint and clear, sealer, prep materials, buff materials (approx $150)

Realistically cost should be approx $400-$550 or so tops especially since you know the person.
that also includes about 1 1/2 hours to wetsand and buff all 4 pieces.

Or unless you are basing the price on not having tools and making the job take longer thus charging more!?

BeoBob

Thanks for the feedback Taz.

We are on the same page as far as prep and paint labor goes. I estimated 2 half days (8 hrs), gave myself 10 just in case I sand thru on the inital prep. But cut and buff all 4 pieces in 1.5 hrs???? Apparently I suc at that. Always worried about rubbing through on an edge. As far as materials, I knew the estimate was high and plan on charging him actual cost plus a little for consumables. But with a pint of the base costing $90, plus reducer, sealer, clear, hardener, and misc stuff... hard to get to $150. But still, I need to tighten it up and get closer to actual.

I have all the tools and equipment. I'm just slow, and want to charge accordingly. That's why I'm here.

Thanks again. Looks like I have more thinking to do.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Beobob,

Yea, you definitely (or he) will be spending more on materials if you don't have any to begin with.
I didn't know what you had. So yes, you'll need to buy reducer, quart clear, hardener, thinner, sealer, buff materials, buff pads, compound, prep materials.
I guess you could easily have $300-$400 plus inc the base.

Good luck! :bigokay: