field related jobs...

K

kustomrodder

Always a pleasure visiting the CFP site. I live in Miami ,Fla. and was wondering if any of you guys have any tips or stories of your own on how to get started in the kustom painting field.How difficult is it to get an apprenticeship? I havent been painting as long as a lot of you out there but my dedication and commitment to car kulture is undeniable.Any tips would be greatly appreciated.... Josh Cabrera
confused.gif
dondaddio@netscape.net

T

TAZ

Actually, I have always had an artistic ability, so doing flames and graphics come fairly easy.

I went to a tech school for auto body in the mid 80's. So combining both auto painting and my hobby of drawing sure make a good combination.

Also having the ability to mix and "eyeball" any color (including custom colors) sure helps too.

Glad to see you're enjoying the CFP site.

T

TAZ

On the job training definitely beats all. I started at PVTI, then went co-op (which means half day school-half day on the job). I found that I did learn more on the job. After all, it's the "real" world.

It's just a matter of finding the right company that will hire you to give you that chance. Most likely, you'll have to start at the bottom and work your way up. At least this way, you can learn all the "in's and out's" of the automotive body shop industry.

Some companies will even help you get certified, whether it's ASE, I-CAR, PPG, Glasurit (usually the paint line they use)...In fact, I haven't paid for any of my certification schooling, the companies I worked for took care of the tab.

I personally like working for "dealership body shops". Most of them work with top level insurance companies. The insurance companies want to see body shops have their employees certified, therefore, they must pay for the training
grin.gif
just to keep the insurance company happy.

the body shops also like display they are a "Glasurit" (example) certified shop, which means that all painters must be certified, again, the body shop will pay the tab for this
grin.gif

K

kustomrodder

Thanx for the tip Scott.I've been hesitant in enrolling to a tech school .A close friend of mine who is a mechanic went to a tech college to become an ASE certified mechanic and he now owes the school all kinds of $$$$ for what he thought was no education at all.When he got hired to work at a shop he realized that more than half the employees werent ASE cert. and that it didnt matter much.His advice to me is to wait till ASE is testing again and study the ASE manual on my own.From his experience on the job training beats all.
Like yourself, combining artistic ability with cars was a no-brainer for me.
Flame on, Josh
cool.gif

K

kustomrodder

Thanx for the tips Scott,
I'll be puting in applycations around town and hopefuly someone will be willing to give the new kid a shot.
Incidently, for those of you interested in ASE cert. for body collision repair and paint, registration begins in March,2002.
Live to paint,
Paint to live...Josh
cool.gif

G

goteeman

I don't think the original question has been addressed here and I'm kinda wondering myself how someone gets started in the custom painting field. The way I see it is there are two destinct but different fields...the collision and damage industry, repairing wrecks and the custom industry, where painters that get all the juicy jobs like custom bikes, rods, etc. I have absolutely no interest in the collision and repair field but do for the custom painting field. Is it an absolute that you have to cut your teeth in the C&D field in order to arrive in the custom field? Most of the custom work out there that I see is more based on someone having an artistic background that combines a technical background in surface preparation, paint compatibilities, etc. I can learn the preparation part but I chance to say that picking up the artistic talents are maybe a little more difficult?

K

kustomrodder

I see your point goteeman,
From the time I posted the original message I've enrolled myself in a vo-tech school for body collision and refinishing.
While pocessing some level of artistic ability is an undeniable factor one must pocess in order to evolve into a respectable custom painter, I'm also learning now as I go along that learning the collision repair aspect of the business,in the long run, will serve as an invaluable tool.
Painting is my first love and the more I do it the better I get, but learning how to shape metal ,weld, etc. will eventually help me become a more well rounded customiser.
Keep painting,
cool.gif