etch primer

A

AIR STUDIO

can anyone solve an argument
ive just had a tank sand blasted to bare metal,theres only a little bit of filling to do.what is best a 1k etch primer or a 2k wash primer(1:1 mix)im priming it with
dupont hs-fillprimer which can be mixed
4:1 , 4:1:2 , or 4:1:3. do you have to scuff the etch to get a key for the primer or go spray right over the top
thanks
neil

F

Fineliner

MOst etch primers you dont. But do what i do when in doumt read the tech sheet.
smile.gif

rex

I prefer glass beading because it's easier on the steel,but.Here's my philosophy on etch primer:if you blasted it or sanded the bare steel with 80-150 grit,you really don't need etch primer because the surface is etched very good already.Some etch primers have some zinc in them so it is a slight benefit.I'm a PPG man,so I believe the equivolent is 1790 wash primer.Here's what I do and don't have probs.The surface is pure clean blasted or sanded steel.One coat of DP40 (green).There are about 6 or 7 colors to choose from,but green has the highest zinc content,and white is junk on bare steel.You can use it as a wet on wet sealer or wait an hour and do your mud work (bondo or putty) right over it-much better than over bare steel.I let it sit overnight to a day before I touch it for this reason:it has a window of 1-3 days depending on which hardner you use(also the reason I dislike it as a sealer).What this means is that anytime in that window,you can topcoat it with mud or paint without sanding it-it stays soft a long time.I let it breathe 12-24 hrs before scuffing for mudwork or if it's paintable,I lightly 600 it and let it set another day before sealing it.There might be something better than DP,but I haven't found it.Alot of people snub their nose at this but it can't be said enough-don't mix products or paint lines.If you pick PPG,DuPont,HOK,etc.,stay with their products.There is a touch of room to play,but you have to know what your doing and test it long term,plus it will void any guarrantee the paintline has.

Newbe,I might be off a bit,but someone will clarify if need be.Etch primer will actually etch the metal very finely to give the next product some mechanical adhesion,like sanding it.Great if you chemical strip something and don't want to sand the bare steel-it's hell on a piece of sandpaper.Some (all?) have zinc in them to help prevent rust from forming.I have used them a little,but I can't tell the difference in using it or not.

C

Chops

if you go to bare metal its best to treat the metal .Dupont has metal prep you wipe on and rinse off. yeah i Know bare metal water are you nuts well yes but has nothing to do with preping the metal. The metal will turn a slight blue color ,then you know your metal is treated.
And yes self etch or uroprime or 2k will do fine . Treat it first though. will send part # next time

B

Billy d

What the others have said is all true. Self etching primer worked well for me. I did sand mine with 1200 grit. just wanted to be sure I had good adhesion for the sealer and topcoats. Ya gotta treat the metal!! I don't like any bare metal showing at the time of applying the sealer. The Zinc will allow for better adhesion, and for what it's worth,will also give you better corrosion protection. I used Dupont Chromocoat and had Great results using just a sray can of ENAMEL self etching primer.
Good luck,
Bill