Enamel Vs. Clear Coat

P

Pauly

Okay, so here's the question of the hour. 1976 GMC Truck, and my friends pick on me about the color (they refer to it as Baby Crap brown!). So I figured I might as well Go about painting the stupid thing. I am not looking for a competition Shine, and looking for ease of painting, and was thinking about a nice enamel but my friends are worried about sending enamel though a paint sprayer, So which leads me to wonder if I should go with a base coat and clear coat. Any ideas? Any color ideas for Racing strips and or Flames for a Navy blue truck?

J

Jay

Enamel works fine through spray guns. It's cheaper than a bc/cc base color I think but it shines like no other w/ clear over it. This is just me but I would think like pearl orange ghost flames would look good if you could get the orange to stand out against the dark blue instead of them mixing kinda and turning brown almost.

T

TAZ

I personally like BC/CC. Yes, it's quite a bit more money, but I think it's worth it for an excellent finish. I haven't sprayed an enamel for about 7 years now. Been using either PPG, Dupont or Glasurit BC/CC).

If you are looking for a cheaper type paint, then sure, go for the enamel. Probably only costs about $40-$60 a gallon (guessing)

As far as stripes or flame colors over a navy blue. How about starting with the complete very front of the truck in either a white pearl or silver, then fade it to a light blue and then do the tips in a violet pearl outlined in possibly a nice narrow orange.
shocked.gif