easier motorcycle buffing

R

reckon

I just put the buffer in a vise, pad facing down, and hold the small parts with my hands (fenders, side covers, oil tanks, etc,...)

MUCH easier than trying to fasten the parts down, and if the buffer "grabs" the pieces, it's less likely you'll shoot them 18 feet across the shop.

visualize gloss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif

S

seedeucer

Man, that is a great idea. I never thought about that. I always had to get a another person to help.

crashfixer

Something else I can add here is to take a look at a 3 1/2 in buffer.That is the best tool I have ever bought for buffing a bike.

rex

I like that 3" buffer too.To take even more pain out of it final sand it with 3M's 3000 Trizact,it'll cut the buffing time in 1/2.

rex

Any paint store should be able to get you one or the tool jobbers.I just bought the velcro backing pad and a few foam pads off the local detail vendor that goes to the bigger shops,Auto Magic is one.I just mounted the pad on my angle diegrinder.

N

I'm looking for a little guidance on buffing and polishing my bike. I've done a couple paint jobs, but this is the first one I need to buff. I picked up some 1500, 2000, 2500 and 5000 paper today. I don't have a polisher, so I'll be buying one this weekend, did I read somewhere that I should use a 1500 RPM? Also do you hand sand or use the buffer for that as well as the compound? Any suggestions at all to get started, would be appreciated. I'm assuming the paper you would start with, would depend on the size and number of dirt nibs in my final clear.
Help..Help

T

TAZ

We usually start with 1500 wet, and finish with 2000. Then we compound with the foam pad and then polish with the black 3M foam pad.
I'm thinking about adding a How-To on buffing soon!
So keep an eye out for it. Might be a couple weeks before I get it done.

N

Scott,
I don't mean to insult you, but I was hoping for a little more detail. If someone gets a chance could they please answer my questions in my last post.
Thanks,

rex

You need some sort of block first,I use a double sided rubber/foam block from 3M or Motorguard but even a paintstick will work.Wrap some paper on the block and wetsand out your dirtnibs with the 1500 or 2000 and as soon as they're levelled out go to a finer grit (I stop at 2000 if I don't use 3000 on a da).Start buffing with a foam pad and compound until the sandscratches are gone and then switch to the foam polishing pad with polish and go over it again to remove the compound swirl marks.Clean it up with a hand glaze and you're done.Use a buffer that spins 1500-1800 rpm and don't sand near edges,stay back 1/2".When you're buffing near an edge buff off the edge,meaning the pad turns off the edge,not into it.

N

Rex,
Thanks, I've read about people using as many as 3 different compounds, is that really necessary? How would the 5000 paper I picked up, compare to a compound?
Thanks

Jim

Newbie,You will progressivly see a better shine with each grit you use,If you get the shine you want with the 5000 grit,then stop there.I dought any paper will do as good of job as the polish.Your paper doesn't get flexible enough,you'll still get an occasional scratch here and there from the edge not to mention a break thru the clear,polishing removes it all with less problems.

rex

Most use 3 products but they aren't all compounds.Your compound is for the heavy cutting first step,then a polish which is basically a very fine compoud to cut out the compound scratches,then a hand glaze that will fill in the fine scratches from the polish.I use 3M's Trizact 3000 on a da and they use almost a polish to cut the scratches out,then you hand glaze it.I haven't seen 5000 yet (remember I live in Podunk so it takes a while if I don't investigate things) but 5000 should dissapear with a swipe of polish on the buffer.The big thing to remember is as you progress thru the grits you constantly remove more clear so that can be very bad.I used to use up to 3 grits to remove stuff like runs and dirt but now I use 2 or even 1.Anything heavy I use 1500 or 2000 and then the 3000,if it's just a minor nipping I use 2000 and most of the time just buff it out.