Dupont Centari?

T

TAZ

Steve,
Thanks for the complement on the site and board. I have seen the site and hits pick up within the past couple of months, so I thought it was time to redo the site to even include more content, pics, tips...

Looking forward to all the participation (both posts and replies) on the Flames Board!

To answer your question, I haven't used Centari for quite some time now. I am sure you could do the flame job with the enamal, but I would *highly* recommend using today's BC/CC type paints. A couple of reasons (right off the top of my head) are--

1)The basecoat in most BC/CC systems dry very quick, thus speeding up the flames process.
2)The thickness in paint. Most enamels will give you a thicker edge than a true basecoat.

You will also have to keep in mind that even if you use an enamel, you should clear the flames anyway since you are doing a fade. If you don't, the fade (from one color to the other) will eventually go away since there isn't any clear to protect the bends (fade).

Like I said though, you can use the Centari, it would just be a little easier and beneficial if you used a true BC/CC.

Right now I am using the PPG Global system, which seems to work great for doing custom work.

You color scheme sounds like it should look great! A pint of each color should do the trick. Don't forget to "over-reduce" your paint no matter if you use Centari or a BC/CC system. This will make a much nicer blend.

To answer your question metallics or solids, my personal opinion would be go with all solid colors except the tips and the "ovals". Do these in metallic.

Truck looks like it's coming right along, let us know when you get it painted
grin.gif

Enjoy!
Scott

S

SWLocke

Scott, great idea! It's about time for a board, and site like this! I like it here!
My Q is: can Centari be used in shading/fading in flame painting? If so, is there a reccomended type of color? (IE, metalic vs solid, ect).
I have been painting for years, and Centari is what I'm familiar with, and Centari is what I would prefer to use on an up-comming flame paint job. But, I'm willing to switch brands/types of paint, to get the effect I want.
The flame job will be on a 70 Chevy pick up, the truck will be black, with the flames starting white, fading to yellow, with the outer edges red, fading to orange.
I've done some fading with Centari (to get a color match), but I have never attempted anything like this. I appreciate any help. steve

S

SWLocke

Thanks for the info, Scott. I'm scared of base coat/clear coat (after seeing some Detroits junk peeling and blistering), is this "global" a eurethane? Will it stand up to sunlight, and acid rain? I live in the rust belt, and need a good durable paint. If this PPG global stuff will last out doors, then it sounds like it's time for me to switch. Thanks for any replies, steve.

Attachments

• hok_digital.jpg
    hok_digital.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,700
T

TAZ

Steve,
Global is a urethane and it holds up very good. Today's paints are much better than they where about 5-10 years ago. Almost *all* cars/trucks now come with BC/CC.

You'll like the BC/CC once you get used to it.

Scott

Attachments

• how_to.jpg
    how_to.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,709