Does the HOK Kameleon Sapphire Pearl Powder Expire?

Victor Shidono

On 16th June 2010, I had purchased online HOK KPF103-2Z - Kameleon Sapphire Pearl Powder. Together with the shipping the 2 oz jar had cost me USD417 to ship to Zambia. I had a very successful 3 stage paint project, of course with a lot of on-line assistance from TAZ to get this right. I still have about a quarter (12 full teaspoons there about) remaining stored in the original jar and in a box.

On 29th November 2012 for another project I came across another online store run by a husband and wife based there in the states. It cost me about a 10th of what HOK would quote for pearl powder. I only managed to use this product on 27th October 2013. Project was a total disaster with the paint reacting badly. I have since sanded down this pearl paint (by hand over two weeks starting with 320 working my way up to 600 paper) remaining with the original car paint.The above disaster has made me conclude that the huge difference in price could have something to do with difference in quality of products between HOK and the other supplier I would rather not name.

I would like to re-do my project using HOK. Project is a Ford Focus first generation hatchback so the 12 full teaspoons should be sufficient to give me the effect I am after based on my previous experience with the HOK Kameleon Sapphire.My question is: DOES THE HOK KAMELEON SAPPHIRE PEARL POWDER EXPIRE? There is no expiry date indicated on the Jar. This is considering I got it almost three years ago now? Running tests with it will reduce the amount I am left to work with on the project. I will appreciate guidance with this.

Best regards,Victor

Attachments

• Jar.jpg
    Jar.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 2

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear that first job worked out for you!

You should be all right using that. I hadn't heard of powder going bad.
I know I have some pearls like that, that are well over 8 years old. I guess that would be like metalflake. This also does not go bad.

What happened that made the paint job come out so bad? It's really just a base color, then the pearl mixed with a interclear. Then clearcoat over that.
The only thing I could think of that could go bad is either you used an acrylic enamal as the basecoat, or the pearl came out blotchy.

chopolds

Agree with Taz, it's more likely that the paint carrier you used is what caused the problems. Pearl powder is a solid particle, it doesn't react with the paint. I have 2 jars of old Murano Pearl that are over 40 years old, that still are viable..I recently took some out of the jar, rejuvenated it (it's paste, not powder) with lacquer thinner, added it to urethane intercoat clear, shot it, and it looks great.

Victor Shidono

Dear TAZ/Chopolds,

Thank you for your replies.

I've actually been having doubts about the paint carrier I used this time around. However I got it from the same paint shop I had used in 2010. I need to check with them when I go to get my next solid basecoat to use as the carrier.

I should be able to finish this project before end of the year and will let you know how it goes.

Best regards,

Victor

Victor Shidono

Hi,

I managed to get a solid base coat from a different paint shop. We layed down the base mixed the hok kameleon in clear and put two coats and decided we had got the effect we were after. Plan was to add two coats of clear above the hok Kameleon. After one coat of clear the weather changed and became too wet as it began to shower. We could not continue.

Is it safe to wet sand this single coat with 600 so that we can apply 3 coats of clear? What are the dangers of sanding through into the hok kameleon paint?

Victor Shidono

Hi,

I managed to get a solid base coat from a different paint shop. We layed down the base mixed the hok kameleon in clear and put two coats and decided we had got the effect we were after. Plan was to add two coats of clear above the hok Kameleon. After one coat of clear the weather changed and became too wet as it began to shower. We could not continue.

Is it safe to wet sand this single coat with 600 so that we can apply 3 coats of clear? What are the dangers of sanding through into the hok kameleon paint?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
That will be very hard to answer. I am not for sure how 'wet' or heavy your first coat was. I also don't know what topcoat clear you use. If you just put a medium wet coat on, most likely you will go through with the 600. If you used a high solids and put the first coat on wet, you 'might' be all right.
You might be safe to very quickly with 600, then wetsand with 1000 grit. I wouldn't go over the edges or corners with the 600 though.
A lot of factors will come into play here So I really can't answer.

Since clearcoating a car only takes about 15-30 minutes, I'm surprised you didn't realize that rain was coming soon. If you stopped at the base and let the rain go through, you should have been okay (hind sight is 20-20) Sounds like you are painting outdoors?

chopolds

Too wet to paint ?...if not outdoors, are you using lacquer? Then 1 coat is not a lot of paint, and you wouldn't have enough paint to sand it at all. But then, lacquer you don't need to sand at all, if it's not possible, it will melt into itself pretty well.

Victor Shidono

Thanks Taz and Chopolds,
Yes the painting was being done outside. Sholud have waited for the rain to pass but again it was getting late so took a gamble. Between yesterday and today I did manage to sand the car with 600 paper. Will reclear this weekend. I will post some pictures then. Thanks

Victor Shidono

IMG-20131228-00295.jpg We managed to clear with three coats. Am happy apart from driver's door just below the handle. I think there was oil on the parts. Paint was not adjure well. Will sand just this door and clear in a few days time. I intend to start wet sand the car in March and polish it. This helps a lot since I painted outdoor in not so cean enviroment. But mostly dust free cause of the rains. Thank you for the advise once more.