Discovered trick with color shift paint

B

big stinkie

Bought a kit of color shift paint at O"Reilly Auto Parts on a whim. Figured the $20 investment was worth it. It has 3 rattle cans of paint...a black base, the color shifting mid coat, and a clear coat. The instructions indicate that the mid coat needs to be sprayed over black or it won't be visible.

I told you that so I could tell you this.

Doing a tank for a friend, and he wanted gold metallic flames and a set of medium maroon flames as well. I experiemented on a sheet of metal, and when done with the test panel I gave it a shot of the above mentioned mid coat just to see what happened. Much to my suprise it did show up, but much more subtle than on a black base. The gold metallic was more 'metallicy' if that is a word, and the maroon (which wasn't metallic to start with) had a nice metallic effect now. Both the gold and the maroon were just one or two steps more 'metallicy' than normal metallic, but less so than metal flake, etc. Add to that a subtle color shift effect and it turned out quite nice. It's kind of hard to describe...it's just different.

I think the color shift paint as normally applied can overwhelm a paint job in some instances. This tones it down a bunch for the kind of effect that you might not notice until you get a little closer. As many have said on this board, "Less is more" when it comes to painting. Assuming everyone else sprays it over black, you can have a new effect that'll make 'em say, "How'd you do that?" Just smile and tell 'em it's a trade secret.

FWIW, YMMV, etc.

Andy

C

capt. mysterio

you wouldn't happen to know the name of the company that made the kit, and the name of the kit would you? i saw 'em a while back, and have yet to find them again.

C

capt. mysterio

will do, thanks rex.

yeah, rattlecans are great. it's all i have room for since i'm in an apartment complex. as long as i paint when everyone is gone for the day, all the neighbors stay happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rex

Man,that sucks Capt. Then again it might make them mad because they can't spark up their favorite stress relieving cigarrette for fear of blowing up.Richard Pryor doesn't live there does he?Bad humor,sorry.I've been running on overtime for days but can't seem to sleep.

A

alienboy

Just remember, if you piss the neighbors of enough the will all move. Then you can do whatever you want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif

M

mojoz

Yes they say to spray over black for most dramatic effect but so do most pearls the rattlecan is by duplicolor & Kragen carries it. I shot dupounts blazberry which is cyan to purple over candied burple & it makes the flames change fromcyan thru reddish gold to purple looks hot hopefuly the automoyive paint suppliers will quit raping us on the stuff as it becomes less of a fad they even have fingernail paint now & the pigments are patented by flex or flax I believe they have like seven differnt colors (shifters) & HOK DUPOUNT PPG all get it from same source & slightly tinker with it for slight differaces same company patented the halographic pigment in the newer money as well Cool stuff still pricey Can you shoot a catylized clear over them kits?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon_wave222.gif

hoss

I painted my motorcycle with this paint. I had a friend clear it for me. I think it turned out pretty good. I have pics of in the member's rides section. it's my X, and the flames change from purple to magenta w/ a metalic gold pinstripe.

I am goin' to redo the flames sometime(b/c i am so much better at taping flames now), but i plan on useing the same paint, then clear it with the western clear that i purchased. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif

hoss

I ment the duplicolor spray kit. I was reading mojoz post and my previous post seemed confusing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/newbie.gif

M

Mez

The paint is by Duplicolor and it goes by the name of Mirage. If you are careful with the rattle cans, it can, and in my case does, turn out looking great. I painted my Harley with it...I was going to take it somewhere and pay the $$ to have it done...saw the stuff in a store and figured what the hell...if I screw it up, no big deal. It took me 4 trys to get it right but it turned out pretty damn nice. I get alot of compliments on it..and NO ONE beleives I painted it myself and with rattle cans to boot!
I used the newest color, "Ice", which is a charcoal metallic that shifts to several other colors, a subtle rainbow effect similar to oil on water, then I taped off the flames in a green to purple metallic using the same product. I'll post pics if anyone is interested in seeing them. I am getting ready to repaint next week however...I was never thrilled with my flame taping and want to redo it.
This time, basic black base with the afforemtioned "ICE" Mirage color as the flames...