disaster

zsowhat

Well having spent countless hours and rolls of tape I finally get the layout to my liking. And as I'm spraying the base coat the paint starts to pull away.Why? my thinking is the paint was handled to much and lost its edge.
I unmasked it all. I am going to sand the base coat not completely,and re mask and shoot over it again. Hoping the base coat will cover and than shoot the candy. Think I can do it ?????

flamepain

Did you put base on top of base?.If so There should be no problem because base actualy reactivates previous base layers.if you put base on top of clear the clear must be scuffed first.please give me an outline of what you are doing. maybe i can help.I probably missed your earlier posts.been a bit spaced out lately lol.cyas

zsowhat

More of my disaster

I am using HOK paint black base than inter coat than sanding 500 grit. flames are planet green with pagan gold kandy. Did a test no problems. painted the front fender no problems except didn't like my layout. Now the tank. everything the same. The planet green, first at the bottom began to stretch away and at a couple of other spots. Most of it went on nice. Another thought,it was to heavy on those areas. I think that may have been my problem
It was warm maybe high 70s to low 80s but not humid And I'm using medium reducer

So I am going the sand every thing remask around the green and spray green base over the flames and if it goes well, spray the kandytoo, I have limited time so it has become a weekend project.

T

TAZ

That's possibly what happened...

From what I gather, it's your green paint of the flames that pulled away from the black base when you were un-taping the flames.

You could have painted it too thick. If you did this, it 'bridged' itself from the flames over the tape. Then when you pulled it, it also pulled the paint.

It also could be that your green was not sticking to the black. Possibly you had something on it like oily prints from touching it?

Go a little lighter on that green, and pull the tape very slowly when you are done. When you do this, it gives the tape the chance to 'cut' the paint if needed. If you pull too quickly, it could pull the paint.

Good luck to you this weekend!

zsowhat

not pulled by tape

I did wipe down the black with acryli clean to remove any dirt or oil. and it was not pulled by the tape it occurred on the last coats. I will try to post a pix. I am positive I can salvage this. Does anyone recommend adher-to. Thanks for all the inputs

T

TAZ

Go ahead and post some pics and we'll give you a better opinion or idea on what's going on

:pics: