Differences Between DP90 and K36 PPG Primers?

A

Arcnsparks

Just curious what the advantages/disadvantages of these two primers were I've got a '66 Fairlane stripped down to bar metal and I'm gonna use the DX-1791 as an etch primer. I realize the DP90's an epoxy primer but is the K36 better for blocking and getting the car straight? What about K36's ability to be used as a tintable sealer? I'll be top coating with 2 stage DBC. Just lookin for some info Thanks guys. Great site Scott!

T

tooter

I USE K36 IT IS LIKE LIQ BONDO THICK STUFF EXCE FOR FILLING AND BLOCKING AS FAR AS A SEALER IT DEPENDS ON WHAT COLOR YOU SPRAYING PPG MAKES AS SEALER NCS2005 IT COMES IN BLACK GRAY AND I THINK WHITE

rex

The DP's are epoxies and should be used over the etch primer,but use the green(40) instead of the 90,it has the highest zinc content.Do all your bodywork on top of it.You can use it as a sealer too,but I don't like it because it stays soft so long-if you use the 401 hardner you have 3 days to topcoat without sanding.K36 is the surfacer to use over your bodywork,but don't try to replace bondo or putty with it,it'll eventually fail.It too can be used as a tintable sealer,but I only tried it once and seemed to work well.As tooter said,the NCS is nice stuff.I use the 2004 grey for sealing my bike work,but if you want black it's 2005.Not sure if there's a white or not.I really don't like whites for sealers,but I think that's because I have no use for DP48(white).It has no corosion protection at all and doesn't even stick that well to bare metal.Green DP is the best,but I have used red,black and grey as sealers in certain situations.

F

flameitall

I haven't used K36 but I know it's tintable. I have used K38 extensively although to my knowledge it is not tintable-at least according to the literature. K38 is a catalyzed high build which fills small voids and imperfections amazingly- and is very easy to block. It's also reasonably waterproof-had a car sitting in a carport in K38 for a year with no rust through problems.