DeVillbiss Problem

C

CrAzYCurt

Hows it goin?

My dad has a spray gun called DeVillbiss it is supose to be a really good gun. It was skiping when ya paint if that makes any sense. He was told to get a new needle so he got one and it still does the smae thing. Anyone have any idea what might cause this?

By skiping I mean paint comes out then just air the paint comes again like that.

ezrider

Sound like you have a "dirty " gun. try taking it apart and cleanind it really good. make sure all air and fluid passages are unobstructed.
bigokay.gif

J

JAMMINJ

I'M NOT SURE WHAT MODEL YOUR DAD HAS BUT IF IT'S A GRAVITY FEED (THE PAINT CUP IS ON TOP) TAKE A LOOK AT THE GASKET BETWEEN THE CUP AND THE GUN BODY. I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE WITH MY DEVILBISS, IF THAT GASKET IS BAD THE GUN WILL SPRAY GOOD FOR A FEW SECONDS AND THEN CHOKE.

C

CrAzYCurt

Thaks for the sugestions. Its not a gravity feed. The paint is sucked up from below. I will try and find out the model and post it here.

Thanks again.

rex

Crazy,look on the left side of the frame and it should say the base model,it sounds like you have a JGA.I've had a few of these do this and have never found the true cause.Once in a while it is the needle packing sucking air,but there's a thing about them that they end up this way no matter what you do.Good gun,but for what they want for one now you can have a GFG for a few more and there's less adjustmet for the versatility.

C

CrAzYCurt

Thanks Rex.

Is there anything you can do to fix this problem? Its an older spray gun. I am not sure how old but I think he had it at least 10 years and I dont think it was new then.

rex

I'd tear it completely apart and clean it really well first.Notice and make notes of where all the packings (like a wad of string) and seals are.Take the handle to the paint store and tell them you want a rebuild kit for it,probably about $25.Since it sat so long I'd guess the packings are dried out,specifically the on the needle right in front of the trigger where it goes into the back of the head.It's under the nut the needle passes through.If the gun sprays paint,air,paint,air.... kind of like a machine gun it's sucking air from somewhere.One of mine was cured this way,but the other started and nothing cured it.To this day I still don't know what's wrong with it.Another lesser cause is the copper crush washer under the fluid tip (under the air cap).If it's been reused to many times it'll lose seal.When you take off the tip,and it's usually really tight,have the needle back off the tip by taking out the knob and spring at the rear and pull the trigger.The needle will stay back and wont grind on the tip as you unscrew it.Hope she works for you

A

american dreamer

hey curt ,new guy here.
I,ve been using devillbiss guns at work for about 10 years now and find them to be very
good guns. we use them 24 hrs a day and they are never REALLY cleaned just refilled.
so i've run into this problem alot.
as others have stated a thorough cleaning is the place to start.
with the carbon black powder mix in our paint
sometimes to much solids is the culprit. luckily
with the cost of these guns i'm not the one replacing them when they wear out.
careful with that spraycap not to blow air through with the screw on cap removed , you could blow that little copper ring off and could be a bear to get back on(had trouble with that once trying to fix same problem) good luck with it

C

CrAzYCurt

Thanks man. I am going to try that and see what happens.

cheers.gif

T

Tibbo

If your gun is skipping or has intermmitent spray, change the fluid tip seal (copper ring) and/or the fluid needle packing. This usually cures the problem.