Deep stone chips

martin3294

Would be gratefull for any tips on his problem. 2 years ago I airbrushed a harley springer with a polar bear scene on the fenders and tanks. The guy had his bike custom painted first with HOK candy brandy wine, I then spent well in excess of 40 hours worth of artwork on it, he has contacted me to repair some stone chips he has got on the fenders. The bodyshop said he would need to come to me for the repair as they cannot repair the artwork. I can sort out the repairs on the artwork no problem but he has some really bad stone chips away from the artwork. Could anyone tell me the procedure of how do I fade in the candy brandy wine ? Do I need to fill the stonechip with filler or do I use primer? to bring the stone chip back up to the same level as the paintwork as it is quite thick paint. I will be filling the artwork side and re- doing the airbrushing.. Its just 2 small chips away from the artwork that is the problem for me. I rang the bodyshop up to see if they could do it but they said it is too close to the artwork for them to do and they couldn't fit it in for another few weeks, the guy is putting it into a show in 2 weeks time so it has fallen onto my lap to sort out for him. any help will be greatly appreciated.,

T

TAZ

To take care of a chip on a 'candy' job, the best bet (especially since you have artwork) would be to sand this very good with 320. Do not feather this out, just use your finger or the corner of the piece of sandpaper to 'rough' it up. Keep it small as possible. Then take some polyester putty, or flowable putty and fill it and sand it so it is level with the rest of the paint.

As far as spotting it in, you can dust the basecoat in, then blend the candy, but this takes up quite a bit of room (about 6" for each chip since this is a tri-stage). OR possibly you can work the chips into your artwork. not for sure what type of airbrush you did, and where the chips are located in relation to your artwork, but if they are close, this would be a good and easy option.

:luck:

afahey

Another idea you can try is getting Chip Wiz or one of those mobile spot painters to do it. They are alot better at keeping repairs small. Ask your local used car dealer who they use. Good luck

Mulepick

Repairs in general are why traditional "candy" painting is going by the wayside. There's really no other way to get the color w/o shooting the 8-9 coats of "pagan gold" for example to get the right color. Come back with a chip that's primer colored and you're just about doing the panel over again. If you're lucky it'll look similar.

Candy base coats from the factory or aftermarket seem to be filling the gap.

Bob

martin3294

Thanks for all he replies guys. I have come up wih a solution and a good work around for it. I am going to fill the chip and rub it down flat, then as I am having to repair the airbrush work anyway, instead of trying to blend the candy in I am instead going to stretch the artwork over the chipped area. then re clear the whole thing. Seems the easiest solution as the candy is going to be a nightmare to blend. This is a show quality bike and has been in lots of shows so I am not going to risk messing it up for a few stone chips. The artwork I have originaly done can be re-worked by adding some extra bits in easier. thanks for everyone who answered, I appreciate it.