Custom Paint Mix Question

iroccopz28

I am planning on repainting my motorcycle and am having a tough time deciding on a color that will stand out in my mind. I talked to someone (that I wouldn't exactly call reliable for information but once in a while knows something) and he said that if I took the black and add some candy red additive to the black it will give me a black with red tint. I was curious if this was something that would work. If that's the case I might do that and then I can blue metal flake. Just an idea, but first I'm just curious if the black with the candy additive will work... Thank you for any help... Jim

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Jim,
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of threads on this forum about that.
The red in the black will really not make a difference.
The best way to do it would be spray a black base a dusting of silver metallic over the black. Then you spray the candy over the base and metallic.
You can do this will any candy color
Keep in mind though, this is basically black. This is really not a color that will 'stand out'

iroccopz28

Jim,
Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of threads on this forum about that.
The red in the black will really not make a difference.
The best way to do it would be spray a black base a dusting of silver metallic over the black. Then you spray the candy over the base and metallic.
You can do this will any candy color
Keep in mind though, this is basically black. This is really not a color that will 'stand out'

Thank you you for that information, that makes more sense to me. As far as standing out, I just meant I hadn't found a color or color combination that stuck in my head as something I need to have. Right now the bike is black with a purple stripe and a few scrapes from laying it down... So I'm trying to learn as much as I can about different techniques to see if something stands out in my mind as something I can do... I will def take your advise on how to do this and try it on an old tank I have first to see if I can do it before trying the bike I ride lol... Thank you again for the information and I will do more reading on the site as well... :)

chopolds

To get that effect, you could also put a black base on it, then shoot red interference pearl over the top. Will look black, but when lights hit it right, it will have a red highlight. You could also do black pearl, and put red Candy over it. There's usually different ways to get the same effect, with custom paints.

Last edited:

iroccopz28

To get that effect, you could also put a black base on it, then shoot red interference pearl over the top. Will look black, but when lights hit it right, it will have a red highlight. You could also do black pearl, and put red Candy over it. There's usually different ways to get the same effect, with custom paints.

That sounds like something worth looking into as well. As it turns out my air compressor is having some issues and I need to order some parts for that before I can start my project, but I am looking forward to trying a few things to see what I like. I have an old tank that I am going to use to practice on first before I start on the bike I'm riding.

BeoBob

There are thousands of pearls, flakes, candies, and base colors... millions of possible combinations. House of Kolor, Paint with Pearl, Didspade, and Daddy Roth are some places to start with. But there are tons of places selling sparkly stuff to add to your paint.

Get some sheet metal. Just about anything will do... roofing metal, appliance parts, filing cabinet, old car hood. Cut it up in 8X8 or larger pieces or tape it off in sections. Try different ideas and keep notes about what you used, how much pearl or flake, number of coats, etc... Keep good notes so you can replicate it later. Once you settle on a color and effect combo paint your spare tank to make sure it's what you want.

iroccopz28

There are thousands of pearls, flakes, candies, and base colors... millions of possible combinations. House of Kolor, Paint with Pearl, Didspade, and Daddy Roth are some places to start with. But there are tons of places selling sparkly stuff to add to your paint.

Get some sheet metal. Just about anything will do... roofing metal, appliance parts, filing cabinet, old car hood. Cut it up in 8X8 or larger pieces or tape it off in sections. Try different ideas and keep notes about what you used, how much pearl or flake, number of coats, etc... Keep good notes so you can replicate it later. Once you settle on a color and effect combo paint your spare tank to make sure it's what you want.

The good part is my Uncle runs an auto shop where I live so I have access to plenty of scrap metal to practice on. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are places that will have sample amounts to work with to try? There is a new place not far from my Doctors office that says its an auto body supply store, so I thought I might stop there tomorrow and see what they have to maybe get me started.

BeoBob

Sherwin Williams will mix up 4oz basecoat at a time. Price is color dependent, ranges from $12 to $45.

chopolds

I did this mustang for a friend, 1/2 black pearl, plus 1/2 straight black, with 5 coats of Candy Burgundy over it. It looks black in most light, but really reflects red when the sun hits it.nick s stang.jpg