crack in plastic

G

guest01

A buddy of my ran my bike in a ditch last year and it put a 4 inch hair line crack in the side fairing. When I had it painted the body shop put a small piece of plastic behind the crack. I noticed the crack came back. After removing the panel, the plastic back piece had come off. Is there something like bondo fiberglass, or actual fiberglass resin with mesh that I can use to reinforce the back of the crack. I plan on drilling a hole at the end of the crack to keep it from getting larger. Any suggestions?

ezrider

I have fixed a ton of sleds. ruff up the back side with 36 grit and fiber glass it using matting, also slightly bevel where the crack is , back side of coarse. drill out all the ends of all the cracks. then do your body work on the out side. if done correctly that piece will out last the rest of the bike, i have never had any of my repairs like this come back do to my workmanship only other wipe outs, and my repair is usally still intact.

G

guest01

Thanks ez, you have some good advice. I appreciate all of the help.

G

guest01

I do paint repair for dealerships, I have an onsite business! I repair lots of bumpers with splits! Go to the paint supply and get you some plastic repair and reinforcing tape! It workd similar to fiberglass but it is a 2 part epoxy and is made for just this sort of aplication! It comes with instructions and is much easier the use than fiberglass in my opinion! And it is as strong or stronger than Fiberglass! I repaired two 4 or 5 inch splits on one bumper and later they drove it over a post got it stuck on the post and backed off of it and my repair DID NOT Split! Of course it did slpit next to my repair! haha

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Clausen ]

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: Clausen ]

G

guest01

If you want to go through the headache of using mesh and applying fiberglass, its up to you. The easiset and fastest way is to use the two part expoxy kit. This can be oicked up at you local NAPA or paint store. The result less time, and same results.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

ezrider

i dont want to burst any bodys bubble but bumper covers and motorcycles are two diffrent things. motorcycles take far more abuse. i use the 2 part epoxy on bumpers daily also and it works fine for what it was intended for, but if you really want the bike repair to last fiberglass is my prefrance.

G

guest01

The fairing on my bike is a rigid plastic unlike the rubbery plastic of a bumber cover. I already fiberglassed it and it looks to be pretty solid.

G

guest01

Cool, I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything, and that's an obvious point about the bumper cover.

G

guest01

Yes platic bumpers can flex with this adhesive. Thats why it was created, remember that the old way of repairs still works great but will take longer. I have repaired several fiberglass fairings with the two part epoxy and not to the day have I had a problem. But then again theres the question do it the old way or go with technology.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

T

tooter

i dont no if it will help but 4040 durmix is strong and good ole marine tex is good,if it smokes when u open the bottle its got to be good ha ha ha