compressor advice

C

capt. mysterio

i've been looking into getting into airbrushing, and picked up a badger 150 for cheap on ebay, and am now looking into a compressor to run it.

i life in an apartment complex, so i'd like to have something fairly quiet. i've looked at some airbrush compressors, and they don't seem like a lot of bang for the buck. i plan to be painting automotive finishes on sign blanks to build some chops, and it was seeming that the airbrush compressors couldn't supply the pressure needed for automotive finishes.

so basically, my question is does anyone here have any recommendations on small, quiet air compressors? preferably ~$100-150. thanks!

T

TWISTED

Wal-Mart has a decent compressor for 89 or 99 bucks. It is fairly quiet and has a holding tank. Should be perfect for just airbrush work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif

C

capt. mysterio

awesome! thanks for the tip. i'll check into it.

i hadn't even thought of wal-mart. go figure...

G

Grape Ape

If you plan on painting on sign blanks, you'll need some kind of base coat over the aluminum. For this you can either use a regular spray can, or a touch up spray gun. If you use the touch up spray gun, you will need a compressor that can handle the pressure, plus supply volume. Those small compressors don't have enough in reserve to accommodate the big spray guns.
As for the airbrushes, the small compressors are fine. If you want quiet compressors, look in any airbrush magazine or website (Air Brush Action comes to mind). There you will find plenty of info on compressors, but the small quiet / silent ones are expensive - $300-$500!!! Yikes

Dean

G0rdyb1ker

or you could use the roll on primers so you wouldnt need a larger compressor and gun just for practice blanks

Gordy

Bornhard

I happen to see a HUSKY compressor on a commercial that I thought would be good for airbrushing at the house. It's a small unit that's enclosed in a red case with a handle on top.
I believe they said it was around $99...can't recall where it was being sold at, but check Home Depot, Sears etc.

If you get a small compressor, you may want to check into a small holding tank at Val-Mart (Wal-Mart) for $20 & pipe it to the compressor. This will give you some air to work with and keep it a steady flow.

One last note. Make sure you get a compressor that shuts off when not in use, yet it's still turned on. I got on of those little compressors in my early years that ran steady and it will drive you nuts to listen to that steady hum.