Clouding

D

Different Racing

Hi, Im new to the board and to painting cars. We used a single stage black paint to paint the roof of our car, and now after wet sanding and the first pass a buffing/polishing we are noticing some clouding in the paint. Did we wetsand down too far? Or did I burn the paint while polishing?

Thanks

-Mike

T

TAZ

This would be hard to tell you exactly what it is without actually seeing it but
I would go ahead and *polish* a small spot and see if the cloudiness goes away.
Sometimes when you are buffing, it does look kind of weird until you get it completely done including the polishing.

Another test you might want to run is since it is wetsanded, to pour some water on it, take it outside in some light and see if you can see through it. This might even be your first test you would run.
If you don't see through the paint, revert back to the first suggestion.
Good Luck.

S

shaunboy

THE CLOUDING IS POSSIBLY FROM SINGLE STAGE PAINT BEING SPRAYED IN LOW TEMPERATURES.
A RETARDER THINNER WILL HELP PREVENT THIS.

rex

I'm going to guess it's compound haze.If you break trough you can usually see a distinct edge betwwen the top and lower coat.If you're using a real coarse compound it can imbed grit into the finish and look hazy.On urethanes I use no coarser than 3M Microfinishing compound,but prefer the Finness line of compounds and polishes.The old superduty is way too coarse and eats it up.