Clear line painting

M

moore

A friend of mine was telling me how they paint the stripes and logos on the county vehicles where he works. To do a basic stripe they lay down the tape, sand and scuff, then lay down a second tape line over-lapping the first on the inside by like a 1/16 or so, paint the stripe, remove the second line of tape then clear. Once the clear has set they remove the first line of tape and blend the new clear with the old. Has any one heard of this? Or his he blowing smoke? If not, is this something that could be used to paint grafix on newer rigs and still look professional and durrable without clearing the whole car or truck?

G

gc

Let's see if I read this corretly. Your friend is saying that they are blending the clear with no more than a 1/16th of an inch to do so?????

One can easily add graphics to a vehicle without clearing the entire vehicle.

T

TAZ

moore,
Yes, alot of custom van companies used to, or still do this way of doing graphics. This way, they don't have to clear the complete van.

This makes the paint edge more subtle since it is "stepped" up.
You can use 1/8" tape and lay 1/2 over the first line, which will leave you with a 1/16" clear only edge.
You can also use 1/4" and lay 1/2 over.