chrome paint

Ultra Al

I read a oost on here about painting chrome and just wondered if anybody out there has tried the actual chrome paint. I found this paint on Nates site Innate Paint. Its a little pricy but I imagine a little would go a long way. Does it work as good as its advertised to??? AL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/think.gif

LudicrousSpeed

I purchased a quart of it and have played with it a little, but not with the greatest results.

I think I may have too large a nozzle and needle in my airbrush. It never really covered well enough to not see the black underneath. It did appear to be chrome, though. Not the really shiny blue tinted chrome like on a bumper, but you could see a reflection in it and some people I showed it to thought it looked like chrome. What is weird is that the blots I used to hold my parts up off the table look better than the part I painted....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/think.gif

The stuff HAS to be cleared, it has absolutely NO tolerance to any kind of solvent. Oil wil discolor it, brake clean will remove it(don't ask me how I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lolsign.gif)

I feel sort of gypped, but the jury is still out for me, like I said, it may be my application more than anything.

The worst things about it is that it HAS to be applied over catalyzed black base (extra step) and that it needs to be heated or baked at 150-180 degrees for 30 minutes, or let it sit for several days before clearing. I don;t feel like sitting there for thirty minutes with a heat gun, and the other option adds a lot of time to a job.

When I have some more results, I will post them......

Ultra Al

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was thinking it might make for some interesting pin stripes or like a reverse shading effect but it sounds like the stuff is just too much of a hastle especially at 80bucks a half pint. Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sunglass.gif

LudicrousSpeed

Yeah, the price is a bit steep, but a little goes a long way. I did the cases on my YSR 50 twice now, and can't even tell I touched the quart can yet......

T

TAZ

I'm going to try some of this stuff out. I think one of the more important steps to remeber is to use more air than fluid. Also have a gund with very good itemization. I'll probably try it out with my W-100.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekout.gif

T

tcmustang

I tried it on sseveral car engine parts, looks...pretty good. Not as shiney as real chrome, but I found another use for it, air brushing graphics that need to be silver, but not matallic. Check out one of my pics under current projects. It is the red Cobra Mustang with the tear away revealing the checkerboard. The silver tears are the chrome paint from Nates.

LudicrousSpeed

Yeah, like I said, I don't think my Passche is shooting a fine enough pattern. I am not sure what needle and nozzle are in it, but it was the biggest of the three.

I really need to invest in a good airbrush....

Iwata??

Bornhard

This has nothing to do with the chrome paint topic, but I got a good laugh picturing LudicrousSpeed sitting there with a heat gun for 30 minutes with a bored look on his face.

I heard one thing about that chrome paint. If you don't lay it on wet, or with a thick enough coat it looks like any other paintline's silver. Never used it, but wondering when it's going to be the next hot thing and you see it on every other bike out there in the graphic work.

Have done some practicing with Alsa's Mirra Chrome. Results were fairly good. You do have to use there Speed Clear or a clear of that nature, or it will look like extremely fine metallic silver. It does NOT like solvent. Can be cleared up to 10 minutes, or wait 24 hours. The latter is preferred, and it does get alittle shinier if you wait. Does not leave paint line. By the way, it has to be applied over a sanded and buffed finish. Has chemical adhesion.