Check out my hand at a skull!!

KansasJeep

Painted this on a buddy's jeep hood the other day for fun. Its not perfect by any means, but is the first thing I have ever painted on a vehicle, and I am a major beginner. Let me know what you think, and what I need to do to improve. Thanks, Jared

hoss

not too bad. start looking at your dark spots. like in the nose, mouth and eyes. it'll add a lot more depth if you put some highlights in there like the bone is showing.

good job though, looks good to me.

KansasJeep

Thanks! Yeah, I agree, the eyes and nose need more. I just havent figured out how yet:haha: Also, my teeth need some work. It didnt help much that my airbrush likes to blow a little paint out of the vent hole in the stop every now and then and splatter paint on my surfaces. I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. Also, when I paint smaller skull I can't seem to get my airbrush to pull fine lines. I thought maybe the paint was too thin at first, cuz it kinda blows the fine lines out. So I mixed it a little thicker and its too thick and spatters. I don't know how fine a line an Iwata HP-CS is suposed to spray, but it has to be finer than 1/16 inch.

hoss

ya, that's the hard part. you'll want to use slow reducer through your airbrush, and for small lines you'll need to overreduce. you've got to be quick and precise. it's hard!

something you can do for now is; spray your white down then get some of those soft lead pencils. (kalfa pencil works for this) use these for you line work, then come back w/ your airbrush and try to follow those lines. the soft lead pencil can act as you very fine line work for now. works like a champ. good work on the scull by the way!

KansasJeep

I really don't know the best way to do skulls. I know some people use stencils, and some free hand. I kinda did both. I drew that skull out on some poster board and cut it out. Then used the pieces for templates to put down a faint outline, then went back around everything free hand, and added shadows and such. It just doesn't work as good as I want. I want it to be less fuzzy looking and a little more crisp and detailed. what would you suggest? what process did you use on the ford roadster you did?

hoss

i just used the pedal free hand stencil, and free hand.

the fuzziness goes away when you get good at laying those fine lines. you lay out your lines and fill in w/ shadows w/o crossing over the fine lines. i still have a long way to go though.

T

TAZ

Looks great Hoss...looks like you're getting more and more detailed.

Scott