Blending clear

S

Sioux

When you use the mixture of blending clear and a toner 1 on1 ,do you use still need to thin down the toner ? and here in Europe I asked about the blending clear and they told me ( cause the number differ) thats it is tinting clear additive
is that the one to make more tranparant?

rex

They are partially correct unless your tinting bases are different also_Our basecoats are named also and suspect yours should have the same name.There's the Global line that Scott uses and I know nothing about,the Deltron 2000 or DBC,and the Deltron Universal or DBU which uses the reactive reducer.In the mixing tint line at the store there are 2 clears-one is a clear(that looks clear) used as a filler for effect in metalics or to top off the volume.The other is a cloudy clear used as a binder.The binder in the DBU line takes up about 1/2 the volume in the can while the one for the DBC line(actually called basecoat converter in DBC) gets used at different levels if at all sometimes,but the different basecoat lines have their specific binder and you can't mix them up.To make the blending clear all you need to do is mix the binder clear with the 'clear'clear 50/50,or 1-1.It should be packaged premixed in Qts or liters and we have it in gallons too-DBC500 and DBU500.

This stuff does need to be reduced.When you're ready to make the mix,the blending clear is mixed 1-1 with the basecoat color and reduced 1-1.If I have enough color left over that's reduced I use a mixing cup or the mixing stick in a can to add 1/2 of what I have in blending clear and top it off with reducer.For example the cup says I have 4 parts on the straight numbered scale-add blender up to 6 and go to 8 with reducer.This is for the DBC I use that's reduced 100%.If your reduction is different you would then mix the clear and toner 1-1 and reduce this the same as the toner normally is.Hope this helps.

S

Sioux

OK went to the store today and my question is ,is the cloudy clear you are saying is that the base pasta ( normally for reducing the shine down ?) or is it called different ?( dont know the excact translation) . I bought a little just to experiment with the tintin , it looks cloudy to me...

rex

I don't think so but I'm not sure.I think you're talking about flattening agent that's used as you said to cut the gloss back-the more you use the more the gloss is lost.Usually this is in the mixing tint rack for single stage paint but bome basecoat formulas will use it.You can tell this stuff because it usally has a dry powder around the lid and wherever it drips and dries.If it isn't stirred for a few days it settles into a thick paste in the bottom of the can.

The milky clear looks very similar but doesn't settle and clump up like the flattening agent.Have the guy at the paint store look up a formula for a color.The milky clear will be the last ingredient added (or at least should be).Then get some of it and some of the 'clear' mixing clear and mix both together 1-1,then add the color and amount you want,then reduce the whole mix as you normally would.Usually the store only keeps the flattening agent in the smaller cans (quart here) and both clears are usually kept in the larger cans like gallons here.Let me know if we're getting this worked out.

Oh,I forgot,the mixing ratio I said before of mixing the toner and blending clear 1-1 was for blending out those hard to blend colors.If you want to make candy or pearl with it just add a little pearl or toner until you to get the effect you want.