Basic Kit

I

imported_Rich

Hi,

I would like take up cycle painting and airbrushing and I am wondering what kind of equipment I need to get started.

I want to buy a compressor and a HVLP gun.

Can you tell me if there is a model of HVLP of gun that is good for all stages of a flame project?

If I need more than one gun, what should I get?

What do the different gun nozzle sizes mean?

What type of HVLP gun is good for fine detail?

If I buy a compressor and a gun, do I still need to buy the hoses and some kind of water trap?

What type of enviroment should I spray in?

Where can I learn more about the setup and painting process?

Any good books?

What types of paints are there?

Whats a clear coat?

Whats a candy coat?

Whats flake?

If I just wanted to paint my tank a shiny black - what kind of process would I have to go through?

Do I need to sand in between coats and if so why?

Is there a FAQ on this site?

Any answer to some or all of these question would be appreciated.

Thanks

R

nooshie

Rich,
You can start with, coastairbrush.com and Artalk.com. They sell airbrushes and books. They are also very helpfull with information.

Goodluck
Nooshie
devil.gif

79elkyss

For information on just painting, you can check out paintucation.com. There's a lot of good information on that site on paints and equipment and he also has videos for sale on doing your own paint. Both sites are frequented by good people with a lot of knowledge. Scott, if the reference to the other site is out of line, I apologize in advance.

C

capt. mysterio

good lord. that's a lot of questions. i'm kinda new to painting, but i can help you on some of those.

faq:
faq can be found here.

books:
there are two books that i like that i've found on painting. they are:

Do-It-Yourself Guide to Custom Painting (S-A Design)
by Tom Brownell, Thomas Brownell
ISBN: 1884089496

Automotive Cheap Tricks & Special F/X
by Craig Fraser, Jon Kosmoski
ISBN: 0963733613

the sa design book will answer a lot of the questions that you've posted. alternatively, the special f/x book is more on airbrushing (step-by-step, as well as a source for ideas).

get to reading and you'll be up to speed in no time. painting takes a while to learn, and years to master. hope this helps.

rex

79,that site's cool the last time I saw it but if there's anything that changed since then like sites to go for paintwork it will have to go.It's burried in here somewhere earlier in the year.