Another buffing problem

Galman

Hi All,
Firstly, great site! I've been looking through the site over the last few weeks and there is some great info.
Now my question. I'm having trouble with buffing paint. The paint is a 2 pack, acrylic urethene enamal (sounds like a contradiction to me?). I've used a black base coat with 2-3 coats of clear. The cars looks very good, considering I'm an amateur but I got a few bits of crap land on it while it was drying (top clear coat only) and orange peel in a couple of areas. As a result I think i really need to cut it back and buff it. I've done a trial on the boot (trunk) and it looks pretty good. The only problem I see is on certain light angles you can just see some finally sanding marks. I used 1200, then 1500, then 2000. I then buffed the s*&t out of it. I used a 'G3' compound which was recommended by several good painters. Where did I go wrong? Is there a more aggressive compound I should use? The scratches are really light (maybe from the 1200). I've resanded the panel with just 2000 until all the scrathes appear to be gone and again heavily buffed the panel but still i can see light scratches!!?? I've painted heaps of cars in acrylic before and this final process is far far easier.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Galman:ears:

T

TAZ

Sounds like to me you just need to either buff a little more with the compound you are using, or buff with a more aggressive compound. I would try 3M 5936 (or 6060). This should take care of it.

Also, be sure you are using the correct pad. Try a 5723 waffle pad.

If you have any more spots you need to take care of, I would just use 1500, then buff. You can go over it with 2000 first though if you wish.

Galman

Thanks for your replys. I'll try to get some pics up. I spoke to a painter friend today and he seems to think the 1200 was probably a bit to aggressive too. I've sanded a couple of other areas today with 1500 then 2000. Haven't had a chance to buff yet, but i think they look better already.
I'm not sure of the name of the pad i'm using but its about 6 inches and made of white foam (fairly hard). Also have a softer black one which i believe is more for final polishing.
Regarding the sanding, to me, it almost seems like I've got a grain of sand stuck between the sand paper and the panel (kind of like a single deeper scratch line where ever I've sanded). I suppose i need to ensure my water supply is clean and I'm not picking up crap.

mituan

Hey! I have visited the site and very impressed with its design. I think I should try it at least once.