Alternative to PPG - it costs too much

How2

Hello

For some time I have been using PPG base, primers and clear. I am use to it but now its crazy expensive

Went in today to see what a quart of base coat DBC costs now. In California, a quart will have a price update of $320.
The PPG dealer has Omni and Omni Plus. For my 30 year old car only Omni is the option. I have used Omni before in the tan / gold metalics before and coverage is lousy. Omini is $75 per quart but, its kinda lousy in the color area I need.

I need 3 quarts and am looking for a comparable base option to PPG. Am looking for a urethane system and would like to know who has had durable quality results with an alternative. Do you have a best guestimate of the cost per quart is?

Also what clear coat have you tried, like and dislike.

Experienced paint heads please comment?

Thanks

H2

chopolds_2

Paint costs have been skyrocketing for years now. Seems like every year they go up 10-20%. While paint cost is very dependent on the color, as well as the brand, quality is an issue, too.
I avoid Omni, as I think of it as the "used car lot" paint. I usually use the mid-grade paint, or the top of the line, if it is a higher end resto. Lately, I have been trying out Tamco's paint line. I had been using their epoxy primer for some time, and like them. Then they came out with clears, and I tried, and liked them too. Now they are getting into paint. Slowly they are building up their pigments and such, and are adding colors regularly.