airbrushing flames

B

blinki

a newbe here, when painting flames on a black base, is it just a matter of taping the flame, them airbrushjng the edge of the flame? is the black you see in the middle of the flame the base coat or is this fogged in later? like i siad i'm a newbe, but have to tell you, this is a great site!

mike

Bornhard

yep...mask out your flames & then you can follow the edge of the tape with the airbrush. The middle color will be the color of the base coat. You can also completely fill in the masked out flame area with another color other than your main basecoat color and then airbrush the edge of the flame in with a third color.
example:
1 blue basecoat
2 yellow flames
3 airbrushed orange on the edge of the flames.

B

blinki

thanks for the reply, i'm really interested in doing a flame job like #249, will the candy branywine show up that bright over black or has the flame portion been sprayed with another color first, like the silver/white pearl that people have mentioned. would it work if i layed out the flames over a sealed black base, then airbrushed the edges of the flame with the silver/white where i want the red to appear and then go over the whole flame with the candy brandywine? thanks again,

mike

fEz

Blinki,
Sounds like we both have the same idea for a winter project and are both newbies. I just got a cheap airbrush a couple of weeks ago. I need a little more clarification also though. Can we paint right over the clear coat the exists on the car now and secondly will the whole car have to be clear coated after the flames are complete.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif

G

guest01

Blinki and fEz,
When you see candy flames on black, they are usually gold metalic or silver metalic with candy sprayed over the whole thing. If you are puting flames over an existing clearcoat, you will want to scuff the entire surface, lay out your flames, airbrush your flames and then clearcoat the entire piece

EDIT:NO EMAILS!

B

blinki

thanks sweettooth, the more posts i read the more i understand. this is a great forum. Another question I have is how long can you wait between base coat (metallic black PPG) and applying clearcoat? also how long between candy flames and final clearcoat, the longer the better for me as this will be my first paint job and i'm sure i'll need all the time i can get. appreciate any other info you can offer, thanks

mike

Blue72

I just did my very first flame job yesterday on my wifes ski doo helmet. Just have to wetsand it all and clear coat it and it's finished. I just did a lot of research on how to properly lay out the pattern and practiced with different techniques and it all worked out. Here is a pic of it so far
129helmet3.JPG