Airbrush question

O

outlaw17

I have a Badger 150 and when I am spraying white basecoat reduced 50% for highlights on black, it seems to 'spit' and leave lots of white dots , as if the paint was too thick but I tried thinning it down even more and still the same results , can anyone tell me why this is ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

wammied

You might try turning the pressure up to atomize the paint more.
I have a Paasche H that likes about 45 psi with a #5 tip spraying overreduced HOK.
That helps, but I still have to be careful. When I first pull the trigger, it spits no matter what. As a result, I get the brush flowing on some tape first and while still spraying, I continue to my piece. Then I make sure I'm off the piece when I release the trigger.
Have fun,
Mike

NightShiftX

Here is another way to avoid spitting.Try white/topcoat clear/reducer mix at the ratio of 2:1:1.No need to add hardener for airbrushing.Also increased pressure helps.
NightShiftX

T

Tenacious C

Most of the time it's not the amount of reduction as it is the speed. whenever I'm using white (it seems to be the worst of all colors) I always use a slow reducer. If it still spits I'll add some retarder to slow it down even more.

hoss

I had a hard time w/ the paint drying on the tip and spitting the dried flakes off. I got a good tip. Keep a little brush around and when it dries on your tip, dip the brush in some reducer and clean your tip.