Air Compressor and gun for a newbie??

I

imported_bill

I am seriously thinking about doing my own flame job on my bike. I am trying to get an idea on equipment to purchase on a limited budget.
What can you recommend in an air compressor (minimum HP and tank size) and also a good all around gun for spraying base and clear?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

B

BonesFX

What kind of budget are you talkin about??

If you want the good stuff that will last, I would recommend a 5 hp 60 gal compressor (not really that much more than a 3hp 25gal) Gun wise I would get a mini gun - the Geo line has a nice one thats about 275.00 or a Sata mini jet also a good gun and you can shoot clear and bases with them and they're good for shoot flames and fading. You're also gonna need hoses and presure regulators, a water trap... - Plus materials and paint -- I would expect to pay around 1000 - 1500 for everything.

No - If ya wanna go the cheap way - Go get a used 3hp compressor, buy the cheapest hoses and traps. Lowes sells a touch up gun that holds 8 oz and its only 40.00 bucks. Actually - beleive it or not the damn thing sprays pretty good - I did my first ever tank and fenders with one -- Whatever way you go make sure you buy good paint and materials to do your job --- Good Luck -- Bones!~

I

imported_bill

Thanks BonesFX for all the info.
I did some research on that size compressor and could find only those that operate on 240 volt current. I have 220 in my garage right now. Do you know of any that operate on 220?
Also, in your opinion, would a 5 hp 30 gallon tank work OK?
Thanks

B

BonesFX

I'm not a master electrician but I think its a 220/240 line - meaning it won't be below 220 or above 240 -- I have a 6 hp 80gal sears compressor and in the manual it read 220/240 - so I think you'll be ok with it. -- Something else to bring up, Whatever compressor you decide to get make sure it's not in the same room as your paint booth, ie; my booth is my garage and is where my compressor is located, I got a 80gal for the large amount of compressed air it will hold. I fill it up to 120 and turn it off - I can go around 4 pieces - twice before I have to recharge my compressor. The reason I do this is because most compressors use an open pressure switch that causes a spark when it turns on the machine. This is a big NO NO when you garage is filled with overspray -- wait til the room is cleared out and then recharge -- Bones!~

G0rdyb1ker

I have started on a budget set up and it works just fine. Picked up a 2hp, 50litre(9cfm - 118psi)compressor with a couple of hvlp guns the whole lot cost me £400 new. I have been successfully spraying tanks, fenders and have also picked up most of the cycle frame work in the local area as well. As I make money from this setup I put it away to purchase better kit.

Just practice and get used to your setup before you start on your bike - you can get great results with very little outlay as long as you know how your setup works.