A few questions about ghost flames

88GT

I'm painting a car black with red pearl in the base coat. I want to lay out some red ghost flames with the same pearl added to a base coat binder and ballancer. Will the flames show up enough at certain angles in the sun using the same red pearl? Or do I need to lay down a silver or gold base of some sort 1st and use a red candy also? Or could I just put the pearl in red candy?

SportriderBryan

The added pearl over the paint should give you just enough of a ghost pearl to make it pop. I've done it and any time you add more pearl it just makes the pearl effect more defined.

88GT

Thanks for the help. I'll mess with that. I'm also debating on going with airbrush and stencils (white base and red candy)
I'll talk to the customer...money is not much of an object and I'm sure he'll agree with the added cost of a stincle kit and video. I've done SOME stencil work (with home made stencils) and think with the help of a video, I shold be able to catch on faily quick.

T

TAZ

I've also done it where you can spray a couple coats over the base, then 'airbrush' the flames using the same pearl. You'll want to make sure you get it brighter than the base.

Be sure and do a test panel.

88GT

I've also done it where you can spray a couple coats over the base, then 'airbrush' the flames using the same pearl. You'll want to make sure you get it brighter than the base.

Be sure and do a test panel.
I have a test panel ready to go. A hood. If I cant grasp the airbrush and stencil concept, I'll wipe it off and go back to plan A. Just want to try this 1st

FiFdYnUtZ

whatever you do, MAKE SURE YOU EVENLY GET EVERYTHING COVERED WITH THE PEARLS, the pearl will fog on you horribly if you dont.., and make sure you keep it stirred in the cup of the gun, it will settle...i almost ruined the whole front clip of my car due to the flames fogging...

Ultra Al

Another pitfall thats easy to fall into is to use too much pearl (dont ask how I know). For subtle ghost flames i like about a teaspoon of pearl per quart of clear. Believe me less is more. you wont realize youve gone overboard until the paint has cured and it looks muddy. Again, thats what a test panel can prevent. AL

88GT

I'll be doing something like this but just a bit heavier with the pearl. You cant see them at all if it's cloudy, and the sunnier it is, the better you see them

Attachments

• test2.JPG
    test2.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 92