A few basic questions

L

Lawrence

I've got a '01 Intruder 1500 that I want to paint. The first problem I think I'll run into is that the intruder has emblems on the sides of the fake tank. I'm sure there's going to be holes when I remove them. Do you think bondo would be sufficient to close them up? (I'd imagine them to be about the size of screw holes). Not sure how else the emblems would be affixed. So, that's the first question.

Second, is it better to just strip the paint down to metal, or just sand it a little? My paint's pretty new with no dings. I'm just concerned about ending up with 10-15 layers on my bike. That and if I do end up having to fill holes, how well would bondo ahere to the paint?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

T

tooter

if u strip your parts u are taking achance tht the new paint might have a reaction to the old if ther nothing wrong with what u got then just wet sand with 800 and role with it as far as the holes is it metal?plastic?fiberglass? if u can get some one to weld it

L

Lawrence

The tank is either metal or aluminum. I havn't seen how the emblems are attached yet, but if there are holes for mounting them I'm pretty sure I would need to strip the tank. I can't imagine the paint job would turn out that great if I just applied bondo to the hole and sanded paint. I guess I need to take a look at how it's mounted and make a determination from there.

Another option I think would be good is finding another tank. Unfortunatly, I haven't found anything that would work with my bike. Don't know of anyone that sells aftermarket "fake" tanks.

M

Mac_Muz

Lawrence, I see that I am perhaps a bit late. Are you still hangin here? This is my first post.....

I bet you find factory dents with a welded in bracket. I am no painter, and that is why I am here, but.. I have done a similar thing, but went to bare steel for the whole tank. (I did not know the tank was fake on your bike, but that does not matter).

What I think you will need to do is get to bare metal for a good bondo cream to stick. Before you bondo however; remove as much paint as you can in the area that had the emblems, then with a small hammer drive the bracket down on the ends easy like. Eye ball that and be sure it is down well. Then add some bondo, and then a bit more bondo, untill it is just slightly above the level the rest of the tank is at that point. Then with a hand block and 220 grit sand that area down even. You will need to contour the area and feather blend it. At that point I would hit it with 2 coats of primer to see what it looks like, knowing you are going to sand all or most of that right off again. If the contour looks ok, then sand out the rest of the tank with 600 grit wet. If your good at this use 400 grit, but use a lot of water so the paper floats as you work. Then if the original paint is still ok, and then re-prime, when sanded primer is covering the metal every where you can probably start a new top coat.

G

guest01

First off if your tank has a hole all the way through. "DO NOT USE BONDO". Remember that gas will be aginst this and will eat away at the bondo. Been there done that. Is this tank fiberglass, or metal. If its metal have someone tig weld it if its aluminium, if its fiberglass, try and replace it. But if you choose to use bondo, dont expect it to last very long.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

ezrider

i thought the first post said FAKE tank, usally its ther for cosmetics the actual tank is probily under the seat
shocked.gif
there should be no contact with gas at all.

J

JAMMINJ

I WOULD BE SURPRISED IF A BIKE THAT NEW HAS RIVITED EMBLEM. MOST LIKELY THE EMBLEMS ARE ATTACHED WITH ADHESIVE. USE A HEAT GUN OR HAIR DRYER TO WARM THE EMBLEM ENOUGH TO LOOSEN THE ADHESIVE(NOT TOO MUCH HEAT OR IT WILL DISCOLOR THE CHROME), REMOVE THE EMBLEM, CLEAN THE SURFACE WITH GREASE AND WAX REMOVER TO REMOVE ANY REMAINING ADHESIVE. I WOULD NOT STRIP THE PAINT, YEAR OLD PAINT WILL MAKE A GREAT SURFACE TO APPLY PAINT TO.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: JAMMINJ ]

L

Lawrence

Thanks for the replies. I still havn't had a chance to see how they are attached. Been waiting for some good weather, and the occasional sunny day we do get I usualy end up riding instead. Hope the emblem is attached with adhesive, that would simplify things. I was pretty intimidated by the emblems, but I'm feeling a bit more confident in the project. I'll be sure to post some pictures when I get started. Thanks again.

rex

If they're held on by adhesive you'll see it.The doublesided tape is usually about 1/32" thick in black,grey or white and you'll see it between the tank and back of the emblem.If there are holes,they can be filled.By the way,bondo will stick great to sanded paint(150 grit or less),but it's iffy on filling holes and not ringing later.The best thing to do is grind the area around the holes if you don't DP them.Then countersink them about 1/4" if you can,or as much as you can.Fill them with Duraglass first(kind of a bondo with fiberglass mat strands in it).Sand this lower than you want and skim coat with bondo,you don't want to finish and prime Duraglass because it'll come back and bite you in the ass later-always finish with bondo or 2 part putty before priming.If you have the factory paint on it and aren't going crazy with multiple layers/colors,a good wetsanding is fine,but I like to go to the factory primer if possible to keep the job as thin as posible.