68 mustang repaint

P

pyrofighting

I just bought a 68 mustang. I want to paint it. Should i strip it down to metal or what, hopw should i mtackle this?

M

Mac_Muz

The very first thing I would do, is invest in a tool that tells what you have in the first place. I forget the name of this tool, but it looks like an air pressure stick gauge, and works with a magnet. You stick the tool to the body in a few thousand places, and pull it off, and read it....

If the reading are uniform, maybe you can get away with less work..... maybe you will find a ton of patch work, and will have to work hard getting the old finish off.... Mac

rex

Mac is refering to a mil guage that measures paint thickness.In general one coat of paint is a mil +/- depending.A steel up basecoat /clearcoat job will run roughly 8 mils with minimal primer build.The car probably has a few paint jobs on it so ideally it should be stripped if it's a keeper and wont be sold to make a quick buck.If you have 2 paint jobs on the original finish it's time to strip it for a reliable refinish.Don't be surprised to find over 3 repaints on it though,down here 5 or more are the norm for something that old(and you can tell if you know what to look for without sanding to steel to count them).