1/16 tape suitable for Automask

S

sw engineering

I found a 1/16" vinyl tape that comes in 6 different colors.
I love Automask and 1/16" tape but as you all know the 3m green tape is almost impossible to see under the Automask. I've tried this stuff a couple of times and it works great for me. It turns and sticks just as good as 3m.
It' actually chart tape, made by Magna Visual in St. Louis.
Here's a poor res. pic of 1/16" 3m and the vinyl tape with a piece of Automask over it:
tape.jpg

...you get the idea

The turn in the tape is about the size of a dime. As you can see the vinyl tape shows up just like regular 3m 1/8" blue tape. Plus you can get it in 6 different colors Blk,Wht,Ylw,Red, Blue and Grn.
A couple of warnings though:
1) you have to be very percise with your cutting...it's 1/16" and not a lot of room for error. It's not for a person with no patients.
2) after you cut your Automask and begin to remove the cut pieces the glue tends to string out and then snaps back to the workpiece. with 1/16" tape you do not have that much Automask to tape contact so when the glue snaps back it will sometimes roll past your cut leaving a flap of unglue paper leaving exposed basecoat because of the very thin contact patch. This is usually fine with 1/8" but it gets scary with 1/16". Pay close attention.

If you like both 1/16" and Automask give this tape a shot. I myself hate hand taping.
The only other pitfall is it's a little tougher to get then buying 3m. Search the web for "1/16 vinyl tape ct" (CT2-BL is actually the part# for blue) and you'll find it.

T

TAZ

Thanks for the post. I've been looking for another color of 1/16" other than the 3M "green".

S

sw engineering

scott
I'd be happy to drop a half roll in the mail for you if you want. Try it out and post back your review, see if I'm missing anything with this stuff.

T

TAZ

SW,
That would be great!
I'll test it out and get back with you and the board.
Appreciate it
grin.gif

Heres the address to the shop
Scott Farrell
6571 43 St N.
Unit 1705
Pinellas Park, Fl

Looking forward to trying it out-thanks

H

hdchuck

what is automask and where is it from?

Sorry I am new to this

Thanks

Chuck

S

sw engineering

it's a masking paper with an adhesive backing, the white paper in the pic above. you may of seen it used in the jesse james special. it saves time from "hand masking".

i get it from coast airbrush...available in 6",12",18" and 24"(i think)