Would it be possible to Panel Beat this damage out?

happileej

[h=1][/h] I have a group of small INVERTED dints on my bonnet, would it be possible to just panel beat them flat, if so what tool would be best to use? and also is there a technique that would be best used in this case?

DSC_0001.jpg

Thanks

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest a flat dolly on the underside and a 'good' (not beat up), body hammer. Hit the areas dead on nice and flat. Be sure you have the dolly exactly under the 'outtie' (Audi) ding when you are hammering on this.

chopolds

If you are careful enough, you can probably fix them without any paint work!
I do lots of custom metalwork, including shopped tops, and fabricating panels, lead work, etc.
SInce the affected area is stretched, you need to shrink the area down. Using a metal hammer on metal dolly may cause more problems. I would put a flat, or very low crown dolly (sanded very smooth! if using old tools) under each ding. Then use a wood or hard plastic mallet to slowly tap them down.
If you have a helper, have him hold the dolly, and you can even use a regular ball pein hammer, with a teflon rod to target them even more accurately. Go slow and inspect often.

happileej

If you are careful enough, you can probably fix them without any paint work!
I do lots of custom metalwork, including shopped tops, and fabricating panels, lead work, etc.
SInce the affected area is stretched, you need to shrink the area down. Using a metal hammer on metal dolly may cause more problems. I would put a flat, or very low crown dolly (sanded very smooth! if using old tools) under each ding. Then use a wood or hard plastic mallet to slowly tap them down.
If you have a helper, have him hold the dolly, and you can even use a regular ball pein hammer, with a teflon rod to target them even more accurately. Go slow and inspect often.

Thanks for that info but I'm not worried about the paint as I am respraying anyway.

Thanks

thingsthatfly2

looks like the metal is a bit stretched. id use a nice dolly with the same curvature and a flipper on the outside. smack it lightly until the area is smooth. then once its nice and flat(er) you might want to clean the paint off the area and do a bit of shrinking. block it prime it block it paint it! mazda metal is thin and your best shrinking method might be a disc.

happileej

looks like the metal is a bit stretched. id use a nice dolly with the same curvature and a flipper on the outside. smack it lightly until the area is smooth. then once its nice and flat(er) you might want to clean the paint off the area and do a bit of shrinking. block it prime it block it paint it! mazda metal is thin and your best shrinking method might be a disc.

Thanks heaps for your help