Words about my Spray Can experiences

mobleydrew

"Rattle cans"
I am certainly not a pro, so I am only speaking from my experience.
My motorcycles projects require little paint, and nothing fancy. No flames, stripes, metal flakes. Solid colors, and maybe some metallic once in a while. So simple, it would to be expensive to invest in a correct compressor and gun. Plus, I dont need a whole pint of paint. I use the rattle can method. Besides, I only do 1 motorcycle a year (hobby).
I have learned that the rattle can paints at local auto store (AZ, AA, Pep...) or even hardware stores, just dont hold up more than a couple of years, and better not get any gas on it. It gums up and the clear turns brown. Ive tried the enamels and lacquers. I guess there is a reason why is it only "touch-up" paint for only $4 a can.
I have found, online, there are places that sell "touch-up" paint in rattle can form, and it is all automotive spec, coming in acrylic urethane. (high VOC, so you need at least a cheap respirator)
It is $20 per can, and I usually only need two cans, plus two cans of the clear acrylic urethane, but it has turned out to be really quality stuff. (The clear has a 24 hour life, once you hit the magic button at the button of the can, but I always use what I need within a couple of hours.)

If you are intent on staying with the rattle cans because is it easy, simple, and in some cases cheap, which is why I go this method, I highly recommend the quality stuff.

To those with the real experience, please feel free to comment on my advice. I always welcome feedback where I can do even better.

-Drew

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't use spray cans too much except on very small parts, so I really won't be much help or offer any advice or suggestions.
I would think though that if you are a buyer of a motorcycle and you saw that something was spray canned, they might shy away from purchasing.
But then again, if you are wetsand and buffing these to a factory finish, that should help. But like you said, you definitely don't want to spill any fuel on it.
It is cheap means of painting something though :yesnod:

mobleydrew

I have had good results, and I think it is a result of being patient and the quality of paints that I have used, acrylic urethanes, as opposed to the lacquers and enamels that are on the rattle can shelf at AutoZone and the prep work before paint and care taken afterwards. The place I get it from, they mix and package the rattle cans after the order is placed. http://www.automotivetouchup.com/. The people that have purchased the motorcycles didnt say anything about it looking like they were spray-caned. I sold a '85 Honda VF500F to a Honda Motorcycle Corporation executive. He loved it. Painted in the original RWB colors.

mobleydrew

tank11.jpgtank10.jpgDespite it being rattle canned, it came out pretty well. 5 coats base and 5 coats clear.
Picture quality and flash does not give a good representation of the Green Tea Metallic (Acrylic Urethane 07-09 Honda CRV) I have used this clear before, and despite getting gas on it, it doesnt discolor or gum up unlike the lacquers and enamel clears from the auto parts store.
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Last edited:

mobleydrew

Had great results with the rattle can method. Acrylic Urethane Clear holds up excellent to petroleum spillage too.

Attachments

• SRXgreen2 - Copy (2).jpg
    SRXgreen2 - Copy (2).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 9
  • beach - Copy.JPG
    beach - Copy.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 7

AlexGardner

[FONT=&quot]Duplicolor spray cans have a great nozzle that delivers a very even spray. I was able to get a really smooth glossy finish on a set of waveguide baffles by starting with a nice coat of Deft Sanding sealer, sanded to 320, followed by a Duplicolor sandable primer. That dried for a couple hours in the summer sun and then I went at it with a dry sand with 400grit followed up with some scotch brite pads to a semi glossy finish. Then the paint went on, again, cured for a couple hours in the sun, followed by a wet sand to 2000, final coat of paint, and then a clear coat over that. The sun is a real asset in getting the pain to dry quickly, as long as it's not put on too thick. The result was a super smooth and even satin finish. I'm sure a gloss coat on top of that would have been possible.
[/FONT]