will clear coat hide orange peel paint finish?

dhal22

hi, i was not able to get a perfect gloss base coat on a radio control airplane model i'm building and am going to try to clear coat it.

will clear coating hide the orange peel look it has? here is a link to the plane:

RE: Another Blue Angel build

i will post photos if i can figure out how to.

thanks, david

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Hi David,sounds as though you have used a single stage paint on your plane and want the clear coat for fuel proofing or the gloss. Clearing the orange peel is not really the way to go. It wont hide it, unless it's very very minor. It will just add to it. then there's the weight issue of your plane. Just how bad is it. Could you send us a photo. Is there a reason you can't sand out the orange peel.

dhal22

here is a couple of photos. i am learning how to upload them i hope.

Attachments

• DSCN4434..jpg
    DSCN4434..jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN4173..jpg
    DSCN4173..jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN4428..jpg
    DSCN4428..jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 18

dhal22

i got good gloss on the white and red. the blue not so much. the paint is Systems 3 paint. a 1 or 2 part (water reducible) urethane paint. it is designed for boats but is sold to modelers in smaller quantities. it is my 1st painting attempt. i will find a wing photo if i can.

david

dhal22

some more photos.

Attachments

• DSCN4288..jpg
    DSCN4288..jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN4292..jpg
    DSCN4292..jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN4289..jpg
    DSCN4289..jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 7

dhal22

the systems 3 paint is not really sandable. certainly won't sand to a gloss. my plans were to clear coat for gloss and fuel proofing. as for fuel proofing, brian, it sounds like you've had some exposure to rc airplanes.

thx again,., david

T

TAZ

David,
Like Brian said, if you have minimal orange peel, you can get "gloss" from clearing, BUT, this will not eliminate orange peel. It simply flows over what you already have, but you'll still get gloss.
I assume that since you are mixing this, you are spraying it through a mini gun?
I know they sell those spray can types where you can fill it up, and it sprays like a spray can. I don't recommend this though.
From what I see in the pics, it looks more dull, tather than having alot of orange peel, so a nice mini gun with a couple good coats of clear should do the trick though.

dhal22

thx taz. i have a devilbiss mini hvlp gun and sherwin williams finish 1 clear coat. glad to hear the paint doesn't look that bad. i will post updates this weekend or early next week.

david