Which Iwata for custom painting?

dgbingham

I need help choosing between the Custom Micron CM-C Plus and the Kustom CH. Which is best for custom painting work on Motorcycles? I can't afford both now. From the Iwata advertising I would have to assume they are both the best so I need ehlp from the real experts.

hoss

what are you wanting to do w/ it? the custom micorn is not really the work horse. it's a great detail gun and up from detail. if you want a great all around brush get an iwata hp-c or an eclipse. they are less expensive and a great all around brush.

Kong

I fully agree with Hoss' assessment. I use a Kustom Eclipse CS myself (0.35mm) which is actually a very similar airbrush to the Eclipse HP-CS, which cost about $100 less. The differences between the more expensive Kustom-CS and the HP-CS is the Kustom has a 2-part nozzle assembly whereas the HP-CS has a 1 part nozzle, and the Kustom has an adjustable needle stop which allows you to limit how far back the trigger can be pulled with an effect similar to reducing the fluid adjustment on a conventional gun - if you can't pull the trigger all the way back less material comes out the end.

Actually the Kustom CS is sort of an oddball in Iwata's Kustom lineup. Its the only airbrush in the lineup that doesn't have a MAC valve for instance. I believe its also the only one that doesn't have teflon seals (or any other kind of seals for that matter), but I'm not positive on that.

I can tell you another workhorse brush that you might want to consider, that would be the HP-C+. You don't hear much about it, but its essentially an HP-CS but with the teflon seals, which makes it suitable for use with solvent based paints. Of course if you're using waterborne paints then that's not a concern. If I had to use waterborne stuff again I'd quit painting.

Last edited:

hoss

i've got the kustom micron and i still use my HP-C for just about everything. when i'm doing my free hand work that needs a lot of detail i'll use my micron. but i could do all of it w/ my HP-C. if i had an HP-C+ that has the dial on the bottom of the nozzle that would be the best work horse option.

but as have said, the micron is a great high detail gun, and since you've got the hp-c either guns would be a great addtion. you just have to get used to them.

good luck!