What type of primer?

T

TAZ

You definately should use some type of epoxy primer. Epoxy primers have a hardner in them so they will "stay in place" and have good "hold-out".

If you use lacquer type primers or aerosol can primer, you might as well not use anything. They have no hardner, can move, wrinkle, shrink...on you.

Best bet is to pay the extra bucks for a good brand primer.

C

ckimble

I am curious as to what type of primer to use on my new fender and tanks. I have finished the body work and am ready to lay down the primer to start flaming my scoot. I am using PPG DBU for the base and flames. What type of primer would you guys recommend? Can I use that crap you get at auto part stores in an aerosol can, or should I look at some of the PPG primers? So far, the flaming I have done has been over existing paint. So I haven't had to deal with raw metal yet.

Thanks

C

ckimble

Thanks for the advice, I have been doing some research over the last couple of days. Has anyone used PPG's DP90 primer? I have seen this primer highly recommended out on the 'net.

F

foomangoo

I have used PPG DP48 epoxy primer on plastic parts and helmets with great success. I'm not sure this is the current # as this was a while back.

B

bigw

PPG's DP90 is their black primer. Great stuff, but for all practical purposes, there is no difference with it and the DP48. The DP90 is MIL approved. As an added measure, I use PPG DAS-1980 over the DP system. This is a real good overall sealer that locks everything down.

T

TAZ

I used the DP90 sealer under all the purple pearl on my truck. You can also mix it with the other colored sealers (red, white, gray, green) to get a great ground coat to spray your color over.