What type filler???

jdrich48

Well I'm back. I have another bike I'm painting and have a question about fillers.
I have a motorcycle fuel tank that has a couple small dents I need to repair before painting.
Back in the day my Dad used Bondo. Is there anything new out there that I can use to fill these dents that works better?If so should it be used on bare metal or should I apply a self etching primer first?
Thanks, Im sure I'll have more questions before this project is complete.

Richard

T

TAZ

If they are bigger dents, you can use some 'duraglass', then finish off with bondo. If they are smaller, just grind and use the bondo.
No need to add the etch primer, but make sure the area you grind is plenty big enough that the duraglass or bondo does not overlap the paint.

DB Smith

Howdy Richard,

I new here, but not new to bodywork.

I like Evercoat products. The make fiberglass fillers and a couple grades of polyester filler. I'd say they are superior products to good old Duro (3M).

They also make a really nice polyester glazing putty that mixes and hardens fast, like bondo, and sands out smooth and easy. The stuff is WAY better than conventional lacquer spot putty.

DB

jd70ssclone

in my experiences there is only one filler i will buy because it is the only filler that actually fills and doesn't sand like concrete, and that is rage gold, i wont use extreme rage unless that's all i have and i definatley wont waste money on the new quantum which they recommend you only sand with 180

T

TAZ

in my experiences there is only one filler i will buy because it is the only filler that actually fills and doesn't sand like concrete, and that is rage gold, i wont use extreme rage unless that's all i have and i definatley wont waste money on the new quantum which they recommend you only sand with 180

I agree, Rage is very good!!!
:bigokay:

paintpimp

I've bought so much Rage Gold over the past twelve years that I should own stock in Evercoat! so I agree with you on Rage Gold but I have to disagree with you " jd70ssclone" on the other product you mentioned , with my latest project I made it a point to only use the latest technology in products which included "by far" the best filler on the planet " Quantum Fillers:bigokay:" by Evercoat. I can forewarn any one who tries this product, this is not your daddy's body filler, this is by far superior and you "CAN NOT" mix it like you do any other filler. Once you really know how to use this product you will never go back to the old fillers. Nothing out on the market sands easier than Quantum! The problem I see is that most body men and painters cannot seem to understand you have to learn how to mix it, it is not like any other body filler. If anyone has questions about this product just give me a shout. I've gone through the pains of adjusting and learning and I won't go back to Rage Gold which says allot!