What do I need.

P

pyrofighting

I am new to painting. I just bought a SATA Digital HVLP gun. I want to start painting. I am going to be paiting at home in the garage mostly. What else do I need; sand paper, tape, etc. Please help, I just need some stuff to get started. What brands are best also,

T

TAZ

Well, at least you have a good start by buying a good gun
grin.gif

I would suggest just checking out some of the painting books that are available at your local bookstore or online at Amazon or as another user suggested Barnes & Noble.

You can start the actual spraying process by possibly spraying some fenders or other body parts that some of your local dealerships throw out. I know at our dealership, we throw out quite a few decent panels that would definitely serve this purpose. A great way to learn how to begin to paint.

As far as the best brands, I strongly suggest 3M products. They are very consistent with their products and are of higher quality.

As far as paint goes, I am currently using PPG Global, but I have a strong liking for Glasurit. Both have great warranties and are their bc/cc systems are good to work with.
Good luck on your painting!

P

pyrofighting

Thanks for those suggestions. But I am looking for accessories that I need to buy. What grits of sand paper and how much to get started. What sanders, buffers, orbital or two speed. Hand sanders, block sanders, etc. What things do I need in my shop. Thanks again.

T

tooter

well since money is no problem u might want to consider use the sata for either clear or your base and then u could get a chep gun for primer as for buffer a like my makita and dina brad makes a excell da, as far as sand paper i would also recomend 3m products 80 180 320 da paper 180 320 file paper and 600 800 1500 2000 wetordry paper and also plent of laq thinner to keep them guns clean what i do after i use my guns i take them apart and put in a bucket of gun cleaner get u a couple of sanding blocks to ,and have fun and rember that u cant screw up look at as a lesson learned its help me out a lot

T

TAZ

A couple of brand of tools I use is a Dewalt buffer and a Hutchins DA. For the buffer, I like the using the foam pads over the wool pads. So be sure and check them out as well. They use a velcro backing and are easy to change.

M

MTCCL

OK...I'm gonna sand and paint the Phoenix Project www.angelfire.com/ma4/transam myself. Started by sanding on badly cracked urethane aero-wing today with my Camp-Haus DA sander and some 80 grit. I was very impressed with the first results. May not have to trash the wing afterall. SO...I need to get all the peeling clearcoat off. What grits should I use along the process. 400 or so to get the clearcoat off? Any advice greatly appreciated.

T

TAZ

If you are going to DA it off, I would suggest using 220, coarser if it was metal, but since it is plastic, 220 should do. You might also want to check for some plastic stripper spray that would take all the paint off your wing. If you go this route, be cautious on this stripping stuff, it might eat into the plastic itself. Try a small area first.