What do I need?

ToolBoxTavern

I'm looking at doing some painting on my projects and wondering what is the best path to take.

I want to paint wood, metal, plastic. All just hobby stuff. Nothing extremely huge, maybe an occasional large item, but most would be medium to small. I want something that is not extremely expensive, but will last a long time and is easy clean up. I make junk, repair junk, and just have fun. Some of the things I want to paint I usually go to the local home depot to get what ever it is I think I'm looking for and get it in a spray can.

I am thinking of just buying a cheap Northern Tool or Harbor Freight unit just to see if it will be what I think it will be and then go to a nice unit.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are wanting help on choosing a spray gun?
At first, I thought it was a choice of paint you wanted help on, read it again, and though maybe you meant air compressor since you mentioned 'unit'.

Let us know. I'm sure someone will be glad to give you their opinions.

ToolBoxTavern

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you are wanting help on choosing a spray gun?
At first, I thought it was a choice of paint you wanted help on, read it again, and though maybe you meant air compressor since you mentioned 'unit'.

Let us know. I'm sure someone will be glad to give you their opinions.

I would have to say your right I guess I should of been more specific. The compressor part is easy. I need a big unit. Because I want to pant, sand blast, air tools, and plasma cut. Of course not all at the same time.

Spray gun.... Yes, I would like information on that. Not really sure what direction to go with here. Also the kind of paints to use in it for plastic, wood, and metal. I can make things happen and work, but not sure if I am doing it the right way. So any information will be greatly appreciative.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
We do a lot of motorcycle painting which is fairly small parts. We still use a normal HVLP (1.3 for base and 1.4 for clear). We also have 3 Iwata W-100 guns. We use these for some of the 'small' jobs. You may want to check this out. They also have an updated version. Not for sure what number, possibly a W-110 or something like that.

Devilbiss has the "Starting Line" guns which I heard are pretty decent for the price. I would suggest a 1.3 tip for your small to medium jobs and your occasional large items.

ToolBoxTavern

We do a lot of motorcycle painting which is fairly small parts. We still use a normal HVLP (1.3 for base and 1.4 for clear). We also have 3 Iwata W-100 guns. We use these for some of the 'small' jobs. You may want to check this out. They also have an updated version. Not for sure what number, possibly a W-110 or something like that.

Devilbiss has the "Starting Line" guns which I heard are pretty decent for the price. I would suggest a 1.3 tip for your small to medium jobs and your occasional large items.

Thanx again for the reply.

Do you have a link to these guns?

Also what would you recommend for painting a bbq pit, wood shed, plastics on atv's.

I guess I would like one that would do all or know which one for each job. How bout the tips also... I never thought bout that.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If you are looking for prices, you can just google search them. If you are looking for info, you can either do some searching through this forum or even Google.

For bigger projects I would really recommend a SATA 3000, but if you are limited on funds and do this as a hobby, I would recommend the one mentioned in the previous post